Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

freshening up my motor, what all do I need? (bolts/gaskets)

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 10:31 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default freshening up my motor, what all do I need? (bolts/gaskets)

I'm replacing my oil pump and timing chain before I drop my motor in my car. Motor is a ls1 out of a 2004 GTO with 90k miles. While it is out, I want to freshen up the motor a little bit. What all do I need or should replace?

This is what i have so far:
- ls6 oil pump
- ls2 timing chain set
- head gaskets
- ARP head bolts
- oil pan gasket
- front main seal
- rear main seal
- intake manifold/TB gaskets
- water pump gaskets

Anything else? Where is a good place with decent prices I can get all of this besides the dealer? Want to use all OEM GM gaskets. Thanks Tech.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I would also do lifters, pushrods, springs, trunion upgrade, valve job, head decking, ARP rod bolts.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by redtan
I would also do lifters, pushrods, springs, trunion upgrade, valve job, head decking, ARP rod bolts.
thats a good recommendation although I dont think the springs and trunion upgrade are necessary unless hes doing a cam. the arp bolts arent really necessary either. the 01-up bolts are safe up to around 6800 and the arp bolts would require him to have the rods resized...and by the valve job i assume you just mean having them reseated?

Op if your going with a cam then I would get the trunion upgrade,pushrods and good springs. If not I would just a fresh set of lifters, have the valves reseated, and new seals installed, and since the springs probably have some miles on them just get a set of replacement ls6 springs which are around 50 bucks. The arp bolts as I said above need the rods line honed. the stock bolts are fine with a mild cam or stock, but if you really want better rod bolts that are a direct swap katech's are the only way
Old 03-05-2012, 09:11 AM
On The Tree

Thanks, I was going to do a heads and cam which is why I took the heads off, but don't have the funds for it, so I am just going to freshen up the stock motor with new gaskets.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:45 PM
On The Tree

I would put rod bolts in it now while the motor is out, as they are a pita later. Sounds like you have everything else pretty much covered.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

your list looks ok.
I personally don't see any point in upgrading to ARP rod bolts if your not resizing the rods, polishing the crank and putting in new bearings. also you have an 04 LS1 so you have the better of the two LS1 rod bolts.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

With engine already out, have you considered replacing rings & bearings too? Top end can be done later with engine in the car - bottom end work cannot.

Quick Reply: freshening up my motor, what all do I need? (bolts/gaskets)