Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parts questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 07:41 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parts questions

Ok, I've got the motor out of my car and I'm going through it. The car has ported 5.3 heads and a cam in it. I may switch the cam, but that depends on how much I spend on everything else. I'm looking at replacing the timing chain, lifters, and oil pump. I'm not ruling out that the car may see nitrous in it's life time.

So my question is who do I go with for what?

Timing chain- I was told the car has an LS2 chain in it now, but with the way things have gone with this car I want it replaced by something I know what it is. Should I use a single or double set? If I use a double what do I have to do to use it? There was just an expo that I went to and was talking to the guys from Cloyes. Very nice guys (of course they were, they were trying to sell their product). He said they make all the gm chains and worked with gm on developing them. He recommended the "Z" chain. It's a single row chain and said it would be fine for what I was doing and even more.

Lifters-Trying to find something that will work. Was told car has the stock lifters in it and again, I want them out. I have been reading a lot lately on here and it seems like a lot of guys use the LS7 lifters, but it also seems there are a lot of problems with them. I really don't want to spend $600 for lifters if I don't have to. I also want something quiet. Are the cheaper morel link bar lifters quiet? I was thinking about those. I'm keeping the stock rockers but doing the trunion upgrade so I have to have something that will work with a non adjustable rocker.

Oil pump-Again, stock, but I want it replaced. I see a lot of guys running ported LS6 pumps. What about a melling or a moroso? If so which one, melling makes a few.

Thanks for any help.
Old 03-04-2012, 01:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Given that shopping list I would contact Thunder Racing. They carry an IWIS single row chain that is stout. They also carry both the street (cast) version and the regular (machined) version Morels, both of which are quiet if you set the preload properly (0.030-0.050"). Finally, they carry the Melling 10296 oil pump which will fill that need.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:10 AM
On The Tree

Thank you for some advice
Old 03-05-2012, 08:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Ls2 chain + sprockets from Yank, LS7 lifters and Melling 10295 pump from the cheapest vendor. That's what I'd do.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:05 PM
Staging Lane

melling has some good videos on thier website on how to figure out which pump 10295 vs 10296 that you would need.

The 10296 is really used for blocks that have or are running .003-.004" bearing clearance.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:30 PM
On The Tree

Cool, thanks guys. I'll check out mellings site.