Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Package help...

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 06:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam Package help...

Alright...so I started this thread https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ome-input.html...What's important here is of course the first post. I'm going to try to squeeze a cam package in my budget to make me a happy driver. I was of course going to stall first, but now I'm going to cam, then stall next year...I don't feel like messing with my current under the axle setup to make it louder, when I KNOW a cam will get me their.

My question is: what are the necessities in a cam package? I've been looking at Thunder Racing and TSP packages. They give you what you need, but what else is highly reccomended?
Timing chains??? Oil Pumps? anything particular that you NEED? or don't really need.
I figured I'd ask here before I call them....Cam decision is undecided, but I'll have them spec me out the cam I need. Thanks guys

Last edited by justin hover; 03-05-2012 at 06:42 AM.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The difference between what is needed and what is optional depends in part on the particular cam as well as the condition (mileage) on exsiting parts. However, I think most folks consider upgraded valve springs and hardened pushrods as necessary together with gaskets, non-reuseable bolts, and the like.

Options would include an upgraded timing chain (LS2 chain being the standard budget upgrade), improved oil pump (e.g. a Melling 10296). Additionally, a trunion upgrade to the rockers is a good idea.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Additionally I can add this...It's a 99 ta a4...66,000miles. DD for now..(babied)
Looking for a typical "good/average" street cam 220or224/224 That sounds great and performs great.....(Don't they all) I'll call and get a 1 on 1 about my cam options though...I'm kinda unfamiliar with cam options at the moment so I'm reserching/reading all I can before I call THIS WEEK..This swap was unexpected but just in time though...I just need a good idea of what I'm buying before I call and order.

Just curious if timing chains, oil pumps..ect are highly reccomended or pretty much required... for budget and future saftey purposes....Not sure if I should use stock retainers, gaskets, bolts and such.. Lot's to learn with little time. But I'm all ears..
All feedback and responses are much appreciated..thanks

Last edited by justin hover; 03-05-2012 at 05:13 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone else...
Old 03-05-2012, 08:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would get a new ls2 timing chain and a new balancer bolt ,and maybe a new timing cover gasket.if your oil pressure is good ,stay with the stock pump.