Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pushrod Length Guestimate

Old 03-08-2012, 01:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pushrod Length Guestimate

I'm going to be working on my engine this weekend. The engine is at my parents 2 hours away. I need to check PTV and Figure out what pushrods I need. I want to cover my bases before I go because I live in Columbus and can run down to Jegs to pickup my pushrods.

So my question is what length pushrods would I be looking at? I'm going to buy 7.400 and 7.425. I think one of those should work.

LQ4
LS9 Head Gakets
LS7 Lifters
243's milled .006
Stock Rockers

Any help getting me close would be great. I will buy 3 different sets if it means I can make some progress this weekend and return what I don't use next week.

**EDIT

Actually after thinking about this more could I just use a pushrod length checker pushrod and Checking Springs to obtain my pushrod length and check PTV this weekend??

Last edited by Stoney667; 03-08-2012 at 02:01 PM.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You don't even need the checking springs, assuming you already have springs installed. Install the pushrod checker, tighten the rocker, and lengthen the pushrod checker until you can't rock the rocker anymore. That's your zero-preload length. Add your desired preload to that number and that will be the length you need to buy.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you didnt get much milled off im guessing just to face the heads, with the abount you milled off at .006 i dont think youll have any issue running 7.400" thats what im building my engine with ive just got the heads faced and checked to make shur the deck of the block is true with a new head gasket "felpro" -stock thickness, the small amout that was cleaned off to make the heads true should not effect my rod length no more then .008. you should be fine i see no reason to stick with 7.400" seeing that stock actual pushrod lengs of a 5.3 or ls1 is just under that. keep in mind that if you have stock valve springs they should be upgraded as well.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:11 PM
Staging Lane

I got a spring kit from Livernois. I'm worried about my PTV now with my cam. I didn't think they would have to take that much off. I got the EPS 234/246. I called Geoff and he said to defiantly check PTV. I have the Comp push rod checker and Checker springs so that's not a big deal there.

Search this Thread