Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good cam for gmpp cnc ls6 heads?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 09:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good cam for gmpp cnc ls6 heads?

I'd appreciate any input.

I'm planning on getting these heads for my C5, and would welcome thoughts on a cam that would complement them.

I picked up a used hotcam for cheap, but I'm open to most anything that would work for my needs which are as follows:

1) must be somewhat luggable. I freeway commute in this car and need something that isn't going to get pissy at being run in a tall gear at 1300-1600rpm.

2) Needs to be a traditional split cam in order to work with the flow characteristics of the gmpp heads.

3) Looking for a milder lift number - nothing over .550.

Pluses - I don't mind a really lopey idle, and would prefer a tighter lsa so that power comes on lower. It's not unusual for me to not see the other side of 3k on a given workday commute.

Also, this car has/will have a full complement of supporting bolt-ons, including a very free flowing intake, really good long tube headers and a free flowing catback. I'll also be doing the asp pulley and hs rockers as part of the install. Tuning will be done after it's all buttoned up. I'll also be occasionally road racing this car, so I'm not interested in anything seriously peaky or with extreme lobes. As a data point, I'm giving serious thought to running the ASA cam instead of the hotcam.

Any thoughts or comments would be most appreciated and I would most appreciate comments from people who are actually running (or have run) the cam they recommend,

Dan
Old 03-22-2004, 10:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't think you want the ASA cam for the kind of manners you are looking for, way too much duration .Also tight LDA will make more fussy for daily driver, the cnc GMPP LS6 heads peak out around .500.lift so you're on track with .525 to.550 lift, go with about 220 to 224 dur. on 112-114 LDA. Maybe someone will respond with a certain cam to recommend for your needs!!
Old 03-23-2004, 05:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think a B1 would be a good choice for you. 221 @ .050 55x lift 114 lsa.

Bruce
Old 03-23-2004, 07:50 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if you have a competent tuner i'd go for the ASA cam since thats what the GMMP heads were spec'd for. that setup is a tq monster . h/c full bolt on and tune i could see you at 450rwhp+
Old 03-23-2004, 11:35 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I do have access to an excellent tuner here in town, so no worries there.

Comp has an interesting 224/228 cam at .534/.537 on a 112 that looks like it might work for me. In a way, it could be a compromise between the hotcam and asa.

Cheers!
Dan