Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tick/knock? not sure where to start

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 05:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tick/knock? not sure where to start

I have read multiple posts on here about lifters ticking... but im scared that it is not my case. i recently had it tuned. It is a 98 z28, about 135k on the clock. i heard this noise just yesterday after a few runs down the street. I tried to seafoam it afterwards and it didnt help... noticed it had bad oil pressure, around 18-20 at idle, which normally it was about 38-42. Any imput is appreciated, and if you need any more info ill be more than happy to provide it. i really dont have the money right now to fix it, but im hoping its something smaller such as a oil pump, or a lifter. This is my first time going into an engine and trying to diagnose anything internal. Im just trying to get some backround info before looking into what to do. I would take it to a shop but im currently in between jobs right now and short on cash. Thanks in advance.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBCcj...OFUKtI62A2rAY=
Old 03-10-2012, 05:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hard to tell on video but the low oil pressure would raise an eyebrow for me. I had a similar sound and did the lifters, cam, valve springs, pushrods, pump, chain, retainers, and other misc. stuff and the sound is still there. Just to give you a heads up, sometimes these engines make noise, but that oil pressure drop seems like something to pay attention to. If you hold it around 2000 rpm and maintain, how does it sound? Is it worse under load (putting around town) or what about acceleration vs. deceleration?
Old 03-10-2012, 05:51 PM
On The Tree

It seems to drive fine, but had never had the noise before. no loss of power... but since the noise im scared to go WOT and let it shift. at 2k it the noise stays constant on and off and after that i cant hear it. but then again i have headers, ORY, and Borla. it sounds like a "rattle" that is a bit off beat to the engine but at lower rpms it sounds like a knock. i usually never open my car up and it seems as when i did it finally gave in. sorry for the poor audio, it was from my phone... but the best i have ATM
Old 03-10-2012, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

That sound doesn't bother me at all, nor do your symptoms. However, something's up if your oil pressure suddenly started reading so low. Start with easy, work to hard. No one is going to give you a definitive answer here, not without pulling some things apart. You have to decide if what you're hearing is normal or if something is truly wrong. The possibilities of something wrong are endless, but so often there is nothing wrong at all. It sounds like lifter noise, but EVERYTHING sounds like lifter noise on these aluminum ls engines. If it weren't for the low oil pressure (by your assessment) I would be less concerned knowing what I know now. But a sudden drop in oil pressure is not a good thing... Your engine sounds like mine did before I went balistic and swapped everything...only to end up with the same sound...
Old 03-11-2012, 01:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar sound but never had the low oil pressure problem like you but mine turned out to be a really worn wrist pin causing the piston to slap the side of the cylinder and low rpm and would carry up to about 3500 rpm.