Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

freeze plug pushed in too far in the back of the engine...HELPL!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 11:08 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation freeze plug pushed in too far in the back of the engine...HELPL!

Hey guys I just picked up a daily driver 02 ws6 and I’ve had so many problems with it! Starting out the car wouldn't go into gear (6spd). Long story short the car was an auto that was converted to manual. They didn’t do the swap correctly (the shop told me this...) so a lot of thing had to be redone. All that aside my big problem now is they said that the clutch is burned up due to oil leaking onto the clutch from the back of the motor. I went there yesterday and from what I understand I guess "the shaft for the transmission either didn’t have enough clearance or whoever installed it was an idiot. they put a flat head screw driver into the freeze plug basically on the back side of the crank and hammered it in. so now its leaking oil from the freeze plug." shop said if they can’t fix it or get it out they have to pull the motor!!! I really don’t want to spend that kind of money on this daily. Anyone have any suggestions or heard of this problem before?? My friends said it shouldn’t be complex to take out the freeze plug...worst case they drill a small hole in it and pull it out or spot weld something onto it to pull it. Thoughts??
Thanks in advance
Old 03-15-2012, 11:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Posts like this make me so glad that I bought my car used from a very honest person when it was 100% original. It's why I always document everything done/ I do to the car so if I ever do sell it that it is 100% honest to goodness what I report it to be. OP sorry for your troubles but it looks like the shop your car is at is being taken care of but sucks that your pocketbook suffers.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

with the tranny out i would think you should be able to remove the freeze plug. you might have to remove an exhaust manifold but if its the barbell plug at the back of the motor they should be able to get it out without removing the motor
Old 03-15-2012, 01:23 PM
Launching!

great thanks guys
Old 03-15-2012, 04:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rdCoastPowerSports
with the tranny out i would think you should be able to remove the freeze plug. you might have to remove an exhaust manifold but if its the barbell plug at the back of the motor they should be able to get it out without removing the motor
The OP was talking about the plug on the rear end of the crank (just in front of the pilot bushing that holds the transmission input shaft)... it has been pushed into the crank and is now in danger of falling into the engine if not removed with care.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Anything you do will be a gamble. I'd be inclined to try and turn it sideways by tapping on one side of it. If that works, you could prolly get it out with a pair of long needle-nose vise-grips. Worst case, knock it into the crankcase and either pull the pan or hope for the best...
Old 03-15-2012, 11:29 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by joecar
The OP was talking about the plug on the rear end of the crank (just in front of the pilot bushing that holds the transmission input shaft)... it has been pushed into the crank and is now in danger of falling into the engine if not removed with care.

thats exactly right thanks! well im hoping the shop can get it done without any problems. thanks for the help guys

Quick Reply: freeze plug pushed in too far in the back of the engine...HELPL!