Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil burning compression test good

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 01:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Oil burning compression test good

Like the title says the car is burning oil and the first thing I did was a compression test in which all cylinders checked out good. The funny thing is I run true duals and it's only throwing oil from the driver side. I pulled the driver side valve cover and as far as I can tell everything looks good. There was one kinda weird thing I noticed and that is that there was a puddle of oil in the back of the head. Is there an oil passage back there and maybe it could be blocked? Any input is greatly appreciated guys. I'm mind boggled right now.

EDIT: I have also pulled the dipstick and removed the oil fill cap in which there is no air/ smoke or any blow by and the fresh air tube pulls a strong vacuum
Old 03-18-2012, 01:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

oil remaining in the head is not a problem, it takes a while for it all to drain. Your compression test will not show a leaking valve seal brother,, If you have some seals leaking, that would cause a loss of oil, and smoking. You say only on the Driver side, Do you mean that its coming out of the drivers side exhaust pipe,,or somewhere on the Drivers side of the engine??
Old 03-18-2012, 02:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RARON455
oil remaining in the head is not a problem, it takes a while for it all to drain. Your compression test will not show a leaking valve seal brother,, If you have some seals leaking, that would cause a loss of oil, and smoking. You say only on the Driver side, Do you mean that its coming out of the drivers side exhaust pipe,,or somewhere on the Drivers side of the engine??
Yep driver side tail pipe
Old 03-18-2012, 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know a leak down test will be the tell all, but that will have to wait til next weekend so I can get to a compressor. I would just like some opinions at this point.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be worn valve seals or worn valave guide. Pull your plugs and check which has more carbon built up on them. Even a leak down won't for sure say which is worn. You have to be at TDC on the power stroke which means both valves are closed. Remove you oil fill cap, radiator cap, pull off your intake and listen for air coming out of your tb and air leaking from exhaust, bubbles in radiator, and air leaking from radiator fill
Old 03-18-2012, 07:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm leaning towards valve guides. I changed the valve seals when I did the cam swap. The car didnt smoke at all, but in the recent months it's progressively gotten worse. I'm going to change the valve seals on the driver side head and then see if the issue comes back... If it does than I've pretty much narrowed it down to the guides

Quick Reply: Oil burning compression test good