Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

found bolt sandwiched under intake valve (pic)

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 01:50 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default found bolt sandwiched under intake valve (pic)

i sold my 93z to my bro and we had the motor redone since it had a broken piston skirt. he had a couple guys just drop the motor in after the machine shop was done doin $2000 in motor work. not that we arent capable just didnt have the time and they only wanted $200 to set it in there. they put on the intake and i noticed they had replaced the intake bolts with some new looking ones since they let the originals rust all to hell.
so we get the car runnin and figure out that the fpr was stuck, so i put my old one back on and replaced the fouled plugs and she ran like a top. then we took it for a lil 2 mile drive and start to hear a lil valvetrain noise (so we thought)and return home, pull the valve covers everything was normal and noise went away. took it for another drive next day and it made noise again, parked it and all of sudden wham!! and it dies.
took it apart and what do you know a shiny new intake bolt and washer. piston is scatched up, you can see what the head looks like. spark plug was smashed, pushrod bent. does anybody know if this head is usable with a new valve and guide?
i was thinkin about lightly sanding the marks on the head a lil to get any sharp edges off. also will the piston be alright with a couple knicks in it? we dont want to replace the head if we dont have to since its ported and port matched. we're takin the head in tommorrow to show these idiots how incompitent they are. they better cough up some doh, their gonna know it was there fault obviously.
Attached Thumbnails found bolt sandwiched under intake valve (pic)-pict0015.jpg  
Old 03-24-2004, 02:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ouch!
Old 03-24-2004, 03:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That sucks man they better fix it or give you your money back.
Goodluck
Old 03-24-2004, 05:55 AM
TECH Regular

that's bad ****!!!!
Old 03-24-2004, 07:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Dam talk about a careless costly mistake, they should fix everything for and give you labor money.
Old 03-24-2004, 08:25 AM
TECH Resident

wow, that's pretty bad. hope things get worked out for you
Old 03-24-2004, 08:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

A machine shop should be able to tell. I can't tell with that pic.

A buddy of mine has a Suncoast Raptor hood with its airbox. The airbox has the filter open on the top ("ram air"), with the hold-down bolts *inside* the box. He's got a descreened MAF. See where this is going?

(if not)

He sucked one of the hold down bolts in to his motor, it got wedged in a valve. Fortunately, it didn't do any major damage. A valve job, a couple new valves (I&E), and his motor is running strong as ever. He was unsure what would happen, but the machine shop took care of it. Wasn't nearly as costly as it could have been.
Old 03-24-2004, 08:46 AM
10 Second Club

There was a local guy here that had a buick t-type that ran 10.40's@133. After he built the motor it always had alittle noise in the top end. After 6 months of driving and racing he finally tore it down to investagate. After he got the intake off he just happened to look in one of the intake ports and what do you know....he found a 10mm socket in the intake port, it had been there since he built the motor. LOL !! The socket had peened the hell out of the port but was to big to fall through the valve opening. The socket was fine but the port looked like crap. It's amazing the car ran the numbers it did with the socket in the port.

Last edited by Hawkn01; 03-24-2004 at 09:18 AM.
Old 03-24-2004, 01:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jeez! How upsetting. What is the situation now? Have you guys heard anything form the shop?
Oh that is just sickening
Old 03-24-2004, 04:00 PM
On The Tree

well we will be headin to the beavis and butthead shop here in an hour. im almost positive its a bolt they were trying to use for the intake but was too long. they let the intake sit in the rain i think, since there was rust around the bolt holes. hence the reason they had to try new bolts and forgot one. all they had to do was drop in the motor and bolt up the headers and intake.

these clowns drug the motor on the oilpan across the concrete,smashed the engine into the cowl a few times,left the oil scending unit on while installing motor and snapped it off, lost the t56 lower front cover/bolts, and lost the starter bolts. i was dead set against these guys workin on it. i couldnt help my bro at the time cause i just had my daughter. ill get some better pics up later tonight. this is a lt1 btw.