Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5R Timing chain?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 10:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C5R Timing chain?

I just dropped the most money that I've ever spent for a friggin' timing chain (ls2 chain was too sloppy for my likes), and I received it yesterday. Upon opening the container, I find that someone has already been in it before me....security tape on the box end flaps has been torn away from the box ends, and greasy fingerprints on the box. Needless to say, I'm a little concerned that someone might have done the old "swap and return to vendor" trick. I'm just trying to make sure that I'm indeed going to be installing what I paid for. The place that I ordered it from said I could return it, and they'd order another one for me....but it's a week away, and I need to get my car back together asap.

Anyone know if this is the actual C5R chain?

Old 03-28-2012, 12:13 PM
8 Second Club

Received 698 Likes on 439 Posts

I can't read the name on the chain in your photo. If it says Iwis on it, it is the correct chain.
Cloyes also sells this chain. Made in Germany.
I don't know if it will be real tight on stock sprockets though.

Ron
Old 03-28-2012, 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
I can't read the name on the chain in your photo. If it says Iwis on it, it is the correct chain.
Cloyes also sells this chain. Made in Germany.
I don't know if it will be real tight on stock sprockets though.

Ron
Yeah, it's marked "JWIS"....I just was unsure if there were different JWIS chains. I bought it with the hex-a-just sprocket set from Cloyes, so I'm hoping it will be considerably tighter than the LS2 setup.

Last edited by salemetro; 03-28-2012 at 12:26 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:29 PM
On The Tree

It should be - cloyes uses a slightly bigger crank sprocket to take out the slack. I just installed the regular $175 hex-a-just set and it's nice and tight.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the help guys....sounds like I should be fine.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:56 PM
On The Tree

Yep - it looks exactly the same as the one I installed on my car during the H/C/I swap. I'd say your good to go.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:19 PM
8 Second Club

Received 698 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickenbackerman
It should be - cloyes uses a slightly bigger crank sprocket to take out the slack. I just installed the regular $175 hex-a-just set and it's nice and tight.
Ditto! A nice setup.

Ron
Old 03-28-2012, 07:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great choice and worth the money...there is not a single documented instance of JWIS chain failure even under 24hr endurance racing.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:39 AM
Staging Lane

I've encountered the exact same situation as the OP. I ordered the C5R chain from Cloyes, with billet gears. The C5R chain was packaged almost identical to the one pictured below; broken security tape on the box and greasy fingerprints on the box. The chain that came in the box has the same "JWIS" marked links, but JWIS makes an aftermarket chain LS chain that's about 1/3 the price of the C5R chain. Is there any way to tell the difference between the much less expensive JWIS chain and the C5R chain?

Originally Posted by salemetro
I just dropped the most money that I've ever spent for a friggin' timing chain (ls2 chain was too sloppy for my likes), and I received it yesterday. Upon opening the container, I find that someone has already been in it before me....security tape on the box end flaps has been torn away from the box ends, and greasy fingerprints on the box. Needless to say, I'm a little concerned that someone might have done the old "swap and return to vendor" trick. I'm just trying to make sure that I'm indeed going to be installing what I paid for. The place that I ordered it from said I could return it, and they'd order another one for me....but it's a week away, and I need to get my car back together asap.

Anyone know if this is the actual C5R chain?

Old 01-18-2013, 10:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by salemetro
Yeah, it's marked "JWIS"....I just was unsure if there were different JWIS chains. I bought it with the hex-a-just sprocket set from Cloyes, so I'm hoping it will be considerably tighter than the LS2 setup.
Actually, JWIS makes several chains of the correct pitch (3/8"). The one used for the C5R is called the G68V-2, so the above photo of the package appears correct. The JWIS logo stands for "Joh. Winklhofer & Sohne" but so many mistook the J for an I and hence the IWIS term was coined. Here is a photo of the one I ran when I first received it sitting next to the stock LS1 timing chain. It sure looks the same. One note on the Cloyes, they may be substituting the JWIS chain for a standard set and that may be the reason that package was "handled". The standard chain is the LS2 chain made by Renold. You can also call Cloyes tech support and ask them why the package was opened. They are very helpful.

Name:  114_1417.jpg
Views: 1890
Size:  243.9 KB
Old 02-01-2013, 04:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by vettenuts
You can also call Cloyes tech support and ask them why the package was opened. They are very helpful.
I finally got around to calling Cloyes. They open the JWIS box at their facility, put the gears and chain on a fixture to put a load on the chain and then measure the center-to-center distance of the gears. They'll mix and match the gears until they get the center-to-center measurement they want.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:05 PM
Launching!

Same thing for me. Open box and concerned about a switch. This makes me feel better. My chain looks just like these.

G

Quick Reply: C5R Timing chain?