Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

#7 Sucks

Old 03-29-2012, 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default #7 Sucks

And #7 was (supposedly) my lucky number. Not in the LSx world.

I'm another victim of the #7 broken ringland and the more I've read about the issue the more I'm starting to understand. I have a good understanding of why the failures are happening, now I'm trying to explore ways to work around that.

Anyone using the Kurt Urban Performance water vapor kit? I found a couple guys in the recent Forced Induction thread on the issue with #7 that had positive things to say.

My one question -- has anyone using a water vapor kit still had failure issues with the #7 ringland?
Old 03-29-2012, 04:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so why are these failures happening,is it insufficient cooling around that cylinder?
Old 03-29-2012, 05:09 PM
Turd Gen Guy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well no. 7 gets the most air of all 8 cylinders and I believe the least amount of fuel.... poor no.7 gets double penetrated all the time
Old 03-29-2012, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

For a little more "technical" explanation check out the thread in the Forced Induction section, however the Cliff Notes version is "#7 gets more heat (hot air) and less fuel".
Old 03-30-2012, 10:48 AM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

yeah... I have plenty of friends who use the kurt urban adapters, and you will find that the real racers use those or something similar to get the steam/air away from the cylinders and out of the cooling system

I do it a little differently, I use the same ls6 front crossover pipe on the rear of my engine too...it was laying around from a previous engine, and it is cheap and easy and does the same thing. the front and rear join at a higher point and continue back up to the radiator to the stock location

it also makes it easier to burp the engine when you have to drain coolant for any reason and have to put new fluids in..
I can get all the extra air out of my system on the first startup after adding new fluid...
Old 03-31-2012, 01:12 AM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

It was my # 7 piston/ringland with forced induction that took the brunt of the assault and crapped out my original LS1
Old 03-31-2012, 01:27 AM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Old 03-31-2012, 01:45 AM
9 Second Club

I hope more people post pics and show different alternatives to the Kurt Urban equipment.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:41 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by 02sleeperz28
I hope more people post pics and show different alternatives to the Kurt Urban equipment.
Like I said..
buy a duplicate of the same crossover tube that is up front and put it in the rear...a little hose, and a few clamps and you are done...
Cheap and easy...
the little nipple faces the rear, so you have to trim it in half basically to give yourself enough room to make a u turn with some rubber hose...but it works great
also, you dont have to come up the middle... it was just my best path to connect to my other line from the front...

pardon the mess.. I was in the middle of a big change at this point

Old 03-31-2012, 09:11 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My #8 was unhappy.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:09 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by soundengineer
Like I said..
buy a duplicate of the same crossover tube that is up front and put it in the rear...a little hose, and a few clamps and you are done...
Cheap and easy...
the little nipple faces the rear, so you have to trim it in half basically to give yourself enough room to make a u turn with some rubber hose...but it works great
also, you dont have to come up the middle... it was just my best path to connect to my other line from the front...

pardon the mess.. I was in the middle of a big change at this point
Thank you. I appreciate the picture.

Last edited by 02sleeperz28; 03-31-2012 at 09:30 PM.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:25 PM
12 Second Club

Idk but truck motor cross over may work better because u can bend the tube to go up,or you can use the factory non ls6 intake coolant tube that goes to all 4 corners. Glad I kept mine
Old 03-31-2012, 10:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1nasty86
Well no. 7 gets the most air of all 8 cylinders and I believe the least amount of fuel.... poor no.7 gets double penetrated all the time
LOL, yea poor lil 7 I agree. 7 does get a little more air I would put my highest output injector on it but the majority of the reason has to be from trapped steam. Its a good topic, I think in the 01-02 and with aftermarket intakes blocking out what Vortec engineered in was a huge mistake. They probably blocked it because the engines are built so well they can still hold 350hp all day long without a problem, but I bet a couple of thoes engineers were praying anybody doing forced induction would be savvy enough so switch back to the original 4 port engineered system.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by slpfirehawk415
LOL, yea poor lil 7 I agree. 7 does get a little more air I would put my highest output injector on it but the majority of the reason has to be from trapped steam. Its a good topic, I think in the 01-02 and with aftermarket intakes blocking out what Vortec engineered in was a huge mistake. They probably blocked it because the engines are built so well they can still hold 350hp all day long without a problem, but I bet a couple of thoes engineers were praying anybody doing forced induction would be savvy enough so switch back to the original 4 port engineered system.
Completely agree!

Thanks for the pics guys. Looks like there's a simple fix here with using another crossover tube -- cheap and easy. I went with the KUP kit because I'm neither handy or creative with these things and I feel confident the kit will do it's job.

Surprising there aren't more threads on this topic.

I would think just about anyone with an '01 or '02 that's considering spray or forced induction should be very much aware of the issue before moving forward.

To think, a $200 part (or if you're knowledgeable enough to do it with an old crossover tube....a $15 part) could've saved a rebuild!
Old 04-02-2012, 10:44 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Midnight02
Completely agree!

Thanks for the pics guys. Looks like there's a simple fix here with using another crossover tube -- cheap and easy. I went with the KUP kit because I'm neither handy or creative with these things and I feel confident the kit will do it's job.

Surprising there aren't more threads on this topic.

I would think just about anyone with an '01 or '02 that's considering spray or forced induction should be very much aware of the issue before moving forward.

To think, a $200 part (or if you're knowledgeable enough to do it with an old crossover tube....a $15 part) could've saved a rebuild!

there are LOTS of threads on this topic....
Just not on this forum....
Most hardcore racers who really know their **** do not post on LS1 Tech...

LS1Tech is sort of the Everyday Normal Persons Forum...its Mostly Normal People that Just happen to own an LS1...
Old 04-03-2012, 07:18 AM
TECH Regular

gosh!! what a rip! i see from your over 3k posts that you're an everyday normal person thanks for the tech on #7. i just happen to own an ls because i HATE imports and i know a good thing when i see it. this forum has helped this abnormal person into the 400hp range on the cheap. over 10 years of knowledge in this forum . i feel lucky to have such a place to educate myself on everyday topics. don't get me wrong i love drag racing,but i just don't have money falling out of my *** to finance my toy.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:28 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by oldmano2z
gosh!! what a rip! i see from your over 3k posts that you're an everyday normal person thanks for the tech on #7. i just happen to own an ls because i HATE imports and i know a good thing when i see it. this forum has helped this abnormal person into the 400hp range on the cheap. over 10 years of knowledge in this forum . i feel lucky to have such a place to educate myself on everyday topics. don't get me wrong i love drag racing,but i just don't have money falling out of my *** to finance my toy.
your answer came off kind of sarcastic to me... but I'm gonna be nice and say that you didnt meant it to be sarcastic at all..

Most of us on here, myself included, are not hardcore racers...we are just every day normal people with regular jobs and we happen to like to have some fun with our cars...

there are lots of racing tricks for an ls1 that most people do not do because they just are not a full time racer, and they dont go for all out hardcore..especially when you consider the costs involved to get to the next level is a huge jump...

I would be willing to wager that there are a large portion of people on here that dont even know about racing classes like x275 and outlaw 275
and that a large portion of people dont even know what a 25.2 cage is or where to go to get that level of cage installed and certified.

a lot of people want the "magical goal of 500 rwhp Naturally Aspirated in a stock cubic inch ls1"
and have no idea that it is fairly simple to get there, but you have to spend some coin in a few spots that most people dont even want to think about...especially when a lot of peoples cars are their daily driver...
notice, I didnt say it was cheap to get to 500 RWHP...

MOST people on here are not hardcore racers...Myself Included

and what do you have against imports?
they have their place too....I'm certainly not going to disrespect a legit racecar built for a different purpose...I even know a 9 second Toyota Supra car that gets daily driven and the guy didnt drop any more coin than most people on here do trying to get into the low 11's and the 10's
Old 04-03-2012, 11:11 PM
TECH Regular

i guess i read into stuff to deep . i thought you were beating on us regular joes. this forum has helped me insanely. motor swaps, trans swaps,wire nightmares etc. this is a great country we live in freedom of choice. i choose to bash imports for a multitude of reasons. but the best one is my father survived pearl harbor,my uncle survived korea,my brother survived vietnam, i the cold war, and my nephew the gulf and iraq .this VET buys american any chance he can. **** foreign influences. stay a patriot and buy american!the job you save may be your own.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the posts guys.

Scott, I'm here because I know very little about these cars. I know I like to go fast (there's my one "normal guy" redneck Ricky Bobby reference) however I lack the knowledge to make important build decisions on my own. That's where the internet comes in.

It's amazing that we have access to a group of people, many like yourself, that know exponentially more about these cars (and racing in general) than I do and they're willing to take the time to put themselves out there as resources. I'm grateful for that.

I'm sure there are plenty of other forums out there with better "technical" information and I get that this site is more of a "normal guy" site. That's why I'm here -- I'm just a "normal guy". Perhaps the day will come where I can actually get my hands dirty and learn enough on the normal guy site to understand how I could learn more from the "technical guys/hardcore racers" sites. Until then, I appreciate all of the knowledge you other guys share.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys, relax. When he mentioned real knowledgeable people, he is talking about professional level people. Katech, LPE, and other shops that do R&D work or engines for high net worth, corporate, or proffessional racing organizations just are not going to share the little things that we never think about or truthfully need to think about. ASA and Team Corvette work are places were every detail is scrutinized. Most of us on here are weekend hobbiests. For most of our technical needs, this forums serves its purpose.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: #7 Sucks