Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Engine Noise Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 08:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another Engine Noise Thread

Alright guys, I bought a 1999 Trans am A4 about 2300 miles ago...Changed the oil at exactly 100,000 and it now has 101,3xx on it. The other day i moved the car out of my driveway and noticed a light noise. I popped my hood and noticed it was quite loud and it never made it before. It sounds like a tap but I cant tell if it sounds low. I listened with a screw driver and it seems to be the same noise all over no matter where i listen. It gets louder with small rev's but with a 1800+ rev it goes away or atleast gets drowned out by the exhaust and engine. I can't tell if its a lifter or possibly worse. I cut open the oil filter and the oil that is 1300 miles old has a lot of metallic in the oil. And there are a few bigger pieces. looks kind of like bearing but cant be certain. But there are quite a few bigger pieces but not tons for immediate concern of failure but deffinatly on its way out. or somethings failing. Any kind of help is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys
Old 03-30-2012, 09:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I would start by pulling the valve covers and looking for rockers that have coughed-up their trunnion bearings.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is the metallic stuff a bright silver color? Are they flecks, and/or chunks?
Old 03-30-2012, 10:17 PM
On The Tree

They are very small flakes of metal. all over in the oil. but there are some slightly bigger "chunks". I can only imagine whats in the pan... i feel if the Trunnion's went you would think it would be very loud no?
Old 03-31-2012, 07:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by IslandParkRacing
They are very small flakes of metal. all over in the oil. but there are some slightly bigger "chunks". I can only imagine whats in the pan... i feel if the Trunnion's went you would think it would be very loud no?
If it is the trunnions it would not necessarily be all that loud. The reason I would look at the trunnions first is that if it is almost any other issue with the amount of metal you are descibing you will need to go into the shortblock.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:30 AM
On The Tree

That's what i figure. I'll pull the valve covers and what not and figure it out....Sounds like she's coming apart though lol
Old 03-31-2012, 10:12 AM
On The Tree

I think its a lifter that wiped out a lobe on the cam. (because of metallic in oil) sounds like chatter upon light idle very light (1000 rpms)