Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Noise w/ video

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 01:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Engine Noise w/ video

My 02 TA with 50K on the clock and a stock top/bottom end (Minus a ls6 cam)is making this exact noise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHFg28UIc9I

I pulled the push rods and the lifters and everything looks good, if any of the rods are bent they don't show. Tried rolling them on a flat surface and they seem ok.. doesn't look like any exceptional wear is present either.

What else could this noise be? the only thing I can think of is the lifters?

Is that a good possibility?
Old 04-06-2012, 03:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Took a closer look at the push rods and a few of them are bent but ever so slightly..if you clean them and a glass surface then roll them on it you can tell.

Would this be the source of the noise or should I pull the heads off and check the lifters? (don't really want to!)

When I replace the pushrods will I need to replace my springs and rockers as well? Stock motor -ls6 cam
Old 04-06-2012, 04:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it sounds like a spun bearing at some points of the video, i don't hear anything indicating a failed pushrod or any other valvetrain noise other than possible a lifter. . my laptop's speakers aren't the best. I'm lost at the point were you said you checked the lifters and push rods in the 1st post, and said you didn't want to have to pull the heads and check lifters on the 2nd post..?
springs and rockers are ok as is (assuming the rockers aren't loose or aren't rocking well, valve springs are good unless they're broken. no need to change anything other then the pushrods.
To pinpoint a closer location to the failed part you should consider running your motor and holding a long screwdriver or some other long maneuverable object to the part of the motor that you think is the closest to the noise, and hold the other end in your ear. the closer you get to the noise, the louder it will be traveling through the object you choosed, such as a long piee of allthread or a screwdriver.
you got the point. it works like a doctors stethascope.
keep m
Old 04-06-2012, 05:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have to agree with ^^^^^^from 5 sec to 14 sec it sounds exactly like a spun bearing.....
Old 04-06-2012, 05:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats what I thought......just didnt wanna say it
Old 04-09-2012, 06:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default well

Sorry mis spoke, I pulled the valve covers and and the rockers didn't pull the heads to get at the lifters.

I made the mistake of putting some of the STP oil additive that quiets drive trains in. (I was 600 mils from home and needed to make it home..) So it wasn't making the noise when I got home, a few of the pushrods had a mild bend in them..new chromoly ones show up this weekend so I'll throw those on with some high pressure lube on either end and see how it goes..If it's still noisy I suppose I'll have to inspect the lifters then cam and crank bearings if it isn't the lifters.

Thanks for the input guys.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default hah

Guess I should have checked the AC compressor idle pulley a little better. That appears to be what the source of the noise was. At least I upgraded my push rods in the process *shrugs*