Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pro-Comp Head Studs sold on Ebay

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 09:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Pro-Comp Head Studs sold on Ebay

Ok, I have read post from years....ago. Let get an update. How many stud failures/issues have happened since?

Last edited by badazz81z28; 05-02-2012 at 12:52 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:09 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Looking for new and updated information myself.....
Old 04-12-2012, 10:47 PM
TECH Addict

They still sell them, even a few websites that is not Ebay.

I have been thinking...You can go to "Toms" hardware store and buy grade 8 or 10.9 bolts and studs for a couple bucks a piece, why is it so shocking to get the same thing for about the same price and be scared?
Old 04-12-2012, 11:25 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use ARPs
Old 04-13-2012, 12:12 AM
scj
TECH Addict

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I beleive that while arp products are substantial overpriced for what they are, it's not the product you're paying for. It's the extensive testing and research that arp puts into development and manufacturing of a simply superior bolt, nut, stud, etc. I don't think youll find this in an eBay stud kit. It may look the same, or similar, but it's not developed, manufactured, and extensively tested like that of arp's products. You're paying for the peice of mind that you know without a substantial amount of doubt that the bolt, nut or stud will hold up to the abuse your motor will put on it. I'd rather pay to play in the right way, than pay to fix stuff because I didn't pay to play to begin with.

On the topic, it would be nice for a company like arp to provide and post legitimate testing of its "competitors" products like these eBay stud kits just to see what they're good for.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:46 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I just find it hard to believe there's not another company, hopefully made in the USA, that hasn't made a bolt that has a yeild strength of at least 170,000.

ARP is GREAT ****, no doubt, but I want studs, and 250+ is a tough pill to swallow. But as many say, buy once, cry once....
Old 04-13-2012, 01:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I have ARP studs. They are high quality pieces. They are above and beyond hardware store stuff. I do think they are overpriced, but ARP is the Rolls Royce of automotive fastener manufacturers. You do get what you pay for. I bought my set used however missing a few pieces which I sourced from ARP. Total investment was around $175.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:14 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

multiple threads on these, i have the ebays and know a few folks that do as well. threads and quality of the hardware was surprising to say the least compared to the arp. as for the exact material strength i dont know. what i can tell you is that the ebay studs torqued great with a nice smooth pull (with torque lube on the threads) all nuts and washers where nice and when i removed the heads they had no galling.......i will stick with them till they prove me wrong.......
Old 04-13-2012, 08:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

there are other places that make great ARP type bolts but they cost even more then ARP stuff.

I know a few people had them break but i dont think its been alot. I dont think it matters much as they will be stronger then stock head bolts anyway. so for mild builds they would work. but for a few more bucks I say get the ARP and be done with it
Old 04-13-2012, 12:55 PM
TECH Addict

I like how some only say a "few More bucks" lol...I wish I had your bank roll.

I would like to stick with the facts and not assumptions what ARP does and brand X doesnt because you don't know that.

Has anyone experienced a failure? or issues?
Old 04-13-2012, 01:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Never tried them.....I went out and bought the stock head bolts from GM, and while half way through the torque sequence one snapped (no where near full torque)....that night I ordered ARP bolts
Old 04-13-2012, 01:18 PM
Launching!

Heads studs for a ls motor are cheap compared to what ive got into head studs for my duramax at $600!
Old 04-13-2012, 01:20 PM
TECH Addict

Well if it was up to arp bolts or brand x studs....
Old 04-13-2012, 02:06 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just installed my heads last night with the eBay studs. I will admit, I was nervous, however they installed without a hitch. Sorry, no failure to report...yet. I have confidence now that they will be just fine.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by badazz81z28
I like how some only say a "few More bucks" lol...I wish I had your bank roll.
Then wait to purchase the ARPs until you've saved the money. You don't think that everyone's mods just dropped in their lap because of their "bank roll" do you? Is this concept dead now-a-days?
Old 04-15-2012, 03:50 PM
On The Tree

Here's my take on chinese bolts. Would you use them on your connecting rods? I didn't think so. Go with a proven product. All the expense that goes into a build to just cheap out on fastners?
Old 04-15-2012, 09:33 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,360 Likes on 2,078 Posts

I'm not so sure those fleabay studs are in fact stronger than the GM bolts. I'd need proof of that. You say you want studs. That's perfectly fine. Do you need studs? Probably not. It's not worth the risk to me. I've bought studs, but only because I needed them. 15.25:1 compression, and my builder said studs. You might impress your friends with the look of studs, but I say if you can't afford the game, don't play. It's WAY too important of a fastener to buy inferior stuff. Might be fine on a stockish build. I hope so for your sake. For me, if the heads come off, it's simple. Gaskets and ARP bolts go into the cost equation. Period. And if I could not afford it, I wouldn't pull the heads until I could! I'll quote somebody else..."there's never enough money to build it right, but there's always enough to do it twice"
Old 04-17-2012, 01:47 PM
TECH Addict

I really can't access Ebay at work, but what is the price difference. I can't see it being to extreme, and if one is spending a couple grand on parts already, I think I would go with a known performer.

Just as an example, I had my cam installed with 62,000 or so miles on the car. Bought the cam package in Jan. or Feb. did not get it installed until July. I saved up and got the cam package, ASP pulley, LS6 Intake, and all wear related items I could change in one procedure. The oil pump, thermostat, valve seals, belts, gaskets, basically anything that could be replaced I did. That is just how I thought was the best way to proceed.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:36 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3
I really can't access Ebay at work, but what is the price difference. I can't see it being to extreme, and if one is spending a couple grand on parts already, I think I would go with a known performer.

Just as an example, I had my cam installed with 62,000 or so miles on the car. Bought the cam package in Jan. or Feb. did not get it installed until July. I saved up and got the cam package, ASP pulley, LS6 Intake, and all wear related items I could change in one procedure. The oil pump, thermostat, valve seals, belts, gaskets, basically anything that could be replaced I did. That is just how I thought was the best way to proceed.
Actually it is Extreme: The so called Ebay studs which are also sold from some online speed shops are $70! ARP studs which are ALSO sold on Ebay I might ad lol...Average about $275 (depending on where you shop) I have seen as high as $320 and and as low as $250 (NEW).

Like metioned, peoples "feelings" or "thoughts" is not the question here! That is not credible.

Who has had a failure??? Or a Known issue??? How can we say a bolt is not proven or reliable? They have been selling for a few + years now, and nobody has anything negative to report?? They must be selling or else they wouldnt have been for sale this long...
Old 04-17-2012, 02:55 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by badazz81z28
Actually it is Extreme: The so called Ebay studs which are also sold from some online speed shops are $70! ARP studs which are ALSO sold on Ebay I might ad lol...Average about $275 (depending on where you shop) I have seen as high as $320 and and as low as $250 (NEW).

Like metioned, peoples "feelings" or "thoughts" is not the question here! That is not credible.

Who has had a failure??? Or a Known issue??? How can we say a bolt is not proven or reliable? They have been selling for a few + years now, and nobody has anything negative to report?? They must be selling or else they wouldnt have been for sale this long...

They could be fine. I was just stating "for me" a $200 difference for a known quantity vs. and unknown quantity if I were doing H/C/I and spending $3000 ish. You are correct, I may not have corroborating evidence, but for 6% of my build price, I would not want to find out the hard way. However, it is just my opinion.

Quick Reply: Pro-Comp Head Studs sold on Ebay