Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

231/237 too big???

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2004, 04:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 231/237 too big???

ok i am getting a good chunk of money(sold my quad!) so im going to get a cam for my car. i was thinking about the TSP 231/237 package (part# 25-CAMPKG231 if that helps) but i was wondering if that was to big for a bolt on only car. if not is this package enough for the install? ill probably get the LS6 ported oil pump with it , but i just need some help with the decision! thanks for all the help everybody!
Old 03-26-2004, 04:30 PM
Restricted User

213/237 is a good sized cam, you will want that stall in there before the cam for sure. Should love the gears, mine wants something a little more than the 3.23s!
Old 03-26-2004, 04:39 PM
Teching In

yea im getting all of it installed at once!
Old 03-26-2004, 05:30 PM
pdd
TECH Veteran

thats a nice cam!
Old 03-26-2004, 06:08 PM
Teching In

anyone? im having trouble finding what i need with the search. will this cam work with my stock heads till i get the money to buy them? thanks
Old 03-26-2004, 06:39 PM
TECH Regular

Yes, the 231/237 will work great with stock heads. I'd go with a good set of double valve springs, hardened pushrods, double roller timing chain, and a new oil pump. TSP sells a kit with all of the valvetrain parts you need, including the spring seats and valve seals for $820 or so.

With the new double valve springs coming out on the market, the 231/237 .598/.595 isn't "huge" and should be a reliable setup. There are many threads on this board if you search for 231/237 in the title. I plan on going this route as soon as finances are back in check.
Old 03-26-2004, 06:43 PM
Restricted User

Yep, agree its a nice cam even for stock heads. But I also agree that you will want double springs, I am currently rolling dice on my old 918's, this is the 2nd cam they have seen and lots of miles. No problems yet, but doubles for that extra insurance. That and hardened pushrods, gaskets are all you really need. I have 40K miles, this is the 2nd cam and I still run the stock oil pump, never had an issue with pressure. Also use the stock chain, which is getting swapped for a JWiss Single.

Flames not needed, I am simply saying what I have done. If you got the $ replace it all.
Old 03-26-2004, 06:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great cam. Just installed mine last week - along with a few other goodies .

I know nothing about A4.

How much did you get for your quad? Why not buy a set of Patriot stage II's. Why go through all the hassel of putting in springs, etc, etc. Just by the heads/cam from TSP with Jason's tuning and you'll have a smile from ear to ear.

Oh by the way I still have a totally stock bottom end. The 231/237 is about the largest you'd want to do without piston work.

David
Old 03-26-2004, 06:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

As far as I'm concerned, its huge and isn't much of a street cam. It will make good numbers on the dyno, but unless the rest of your car is set up for drag racing it isnt going to be any faster than anything else.

It is going to have a choppy idle and not make a whole lot of low end torque.

It all depends on what you want. If you're build a real driver, go smaller. If you're concerned about dyno numbers or if you're concerned more about the track than drivability, then go big like the rest of the crowd.

Just a comment in dissent.
Old 03-26-2004, 06:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DenzSS
As far as I'm concerned, its huge and isn't much of a street cam. It will make good numbers on the dyno, but unless the rest of your car is set up for drag racing it isnt going to be any faster than anything else.

It all depends on what you want. If you're build a real driver, go smaller. If you're concerned about dyno numbers or if you're concerned more about the track than drivability, then go big like the rest of the crowd.

Old 03-26-2004, 07:02 PM
11 Second Club

I drove that cam to work and back 70 miles round trip for 8,000 miles every day with 3.42 gears. Smoked many an *** with it too It will have a choppy idle, but will pull like you won't belive. Also, I made 404 rwtq with that cam and "walmart" stage II heads.. so I'd disagree on the part about it not having any torque. Also, it peaked at 6350. Your best bet is to listen to people that have actually ran the cam and get their opinions. With your gears, stall, and other bolt ons.. that will be a mean setup, but please plan on getting some sort of tuning done. Jason's mail order tune from tsp was what I ran on mine and never had one seconds trouble out of it. He's done a load of those setups, so he know's what he's doing.
Old 03-26-2004, 07:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mike 01WS6

I'm running a solid that makes that 231/237 cam look tiny.

I've just seen a lot of folks buy large cams for cars that spend 90% of their time on the street and then 6 months later they are selling their car, swapping out cams, or any other ways of expressing their dissatisfaction.

Big cams can work, most folks just don't know what they really want.
Old 03-26-2004, 07:22 PM
Restricted User

I agree the cam is more worthless without heads, and seeing lots of track duty. I made over 600 runs last year, thats enough for me to justify it over other smaller cams. That was then. Now I am wanting to go smaller but will wait to do the build first. Fun cam nonetheless. Personally, if the cam made more low end torque it would be more useless, as it is I roast tires even drags and I have low power!
Old 03-26-2004, 07:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mike 01WS6
LOL!!! not bashin ya DENZ but i was thinking the same thing when i read your responce Anyway back to the ? of 231/237 i had a tr224 then switched to a 231/237 and i love it!!! just get a good tune and you'll be very happy BTW DENZSS what size solid are you running
Old 03-26-2004, 07:28 PM
Restricted User

DestroyerSS, you running stock heads? I think my car would really appreciate some Stage 2's, or anything ported really for this cam.
You still in OC NY? I am currently sitting in Harriman for another week.
Old 03-26-2004, 07:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

CAT3, i have stock heads right now but i just ordered a set of AS 5.3 stage 2.5's so i should get to use this cam to it's full potential. What the heck are you doing in harriman anyway? BTW that's where i work And i live about 40 mins from there. Stop up and i'll supply the brew
Old 03-26-2004, 07:50 PM
Restricted User

Hey, I dont brew, but a coke and some talk is cool. Where? At the fam's by Harriman Chevy and WalMart. send a pm if you want!
Old 03-26-2004, 08:53 PM
TECH Regular

Have you owned this cam, or driven a car with it? I plan on running this cam in my daily driver. I really like the lope to this cam, and the numbers are promising. I also plan to have a tune done after the cam to be able to drive in stop/go traffic.
Old 03-26-2004, 08:57 PM
Restricted User

koolaid- I got it. Do you have some ported heads? If not, there are cams, smaller, that with stock heads will rock this one. The lope, dont be fooled by the lope, it is mild as hell. I do have mine at 900rpm smooth idle, AC on or off, self tuned. You can get more "lope" from a lower idle, but you will also create more inefficiency IMHO. At the lower idle it carbons up the plugs more. Anyway, it is fun, and when people ask, what size cam is that its funner to watch their eyes grow half-dollar sized in amazement at this cam in a stock bottom, uncut pistons! Even with the A4, the 112 is mild IMHO.

Charlie
Old 03-26-2004, 09:02 PM
TECH Regular

Well, with the comment about why not go ahead and do heads while I'm in there (since I'll already be changing springs, spring seats, and valve seals) I might go with this cam.

I am running LM exhaust, and plan on going with LT headers and a catted Y, so I hope to retain the lope even with a conservative tune.

At 900rpm, you say it is smooth. Does it still lope pretty good? I was also looking at the TR230, but I am pretty much set on the 231/237. Ugh!

Originally Posted by CAT3
koolaid- I got it. Do you have some ported heads? If not, there are cams, smaller, that with stock heads will rock this one. The lope, dont be fooled by the lope, it is mild as hell. I do have mine at 900rpm smooth idle, AC on or off, self tuned. You can get more "lope" from a lower idle, but you will also create more inefficiency IMHO. At the lower idle it carbons up the plugs more. Anyway, it is fun, and when people ask, what size cam is that its funner to watch their eyes grow half-dollar sized in amazement at this cam in a stock bottom, uncut pistons! Even with the A4, the 112 is mild IMHO.

Charlie