Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Collapsed Lifter Replacement Advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 12:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Collapsed Lifter Replacement Advice

i have a 2002 Trans am that has a collapsed lifter when i bought it, just want to get it back to a daily driver so my family can drive it until i come home.

i was told i could replace them with LS7 lifters and call it a day, is this true? im about to order some and have a buddy of mine who is well known for building high performance engines put them in for me so the engine is ready when i come home.

the engine just knocks bad when i start it up and can post a video of how it sounds, but just about everyone has told me that the LS1's are known for getting collapsed lifters. maybe a valve tap? or piston slap but its pretty damn loud for piston slap and it slowly quiets down once the engine is warmed up so thus is my theory it must be the lifter

would LS7's work or is there a better replacement?
Old 04-22-2012, 12:27 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just dropped some heads on my 2000 Camaro, and replaced the lifters with the ls7 lifters. I also did my brothers Camaro that he spins pretty high revs in and they've held up great. Go for it.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:37 PM
TECH Resident

Better check the cam too and make sure it didn't damage it at all. Last lifter a buddy of mine dropped, it scarred up the cam pretty bad
Old 04-22-2012, 12:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If it quiets down after warm up it could just be lifter tick. I'm really not sure if what's being heard is actually the lifter or incorrectly sized push rods from the factory. But when the system fills up with oil everything quiets down. My car did this from the day I brought it home brand new off the dealer lot.

After I did H/C I put LS7 lifters in with the correct push rods and now my valve train is quieter than ever. FYI if you decide to swap lifters the LS7's are a good replacement, but you WILL HAVE to replace the push rods with the correct size. Get a PR checker and measure before you buy.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:58 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BrntWS6
If it quiets down after warm up it could just be lifter tick. I'm really not sure if what's being heard is actually the lifter or incorrectly sized push rods from the factory. But when the system fills up with oil everything quiets down. My car did this from the day I brought it home brand new off the dealer lot.

After I did H/C I put LS7 lifters in with the correct push rods and now my valve train is quieter than ever. FYI if you decide to swap lifters the LS7's are a good replacement, but you WILL HAVE to replace the push rods with the correct size. Get a PR checker and measure before you buy.
Thanks man, this helps alot, i had the thought i might need buy push rods to match the lifters but didnt want to admit the need
Old 04-23-2012, 11:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

If you get new lifters might as well get new trays while your in there.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:59 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BrntWS6
FYI if you decide to swap lifters the LS7's are a good replacement, but you WILL HAVE to replace the push rods with the correct size. Get a PR checker and measure before you buy.
The LS7 lifter is now the only part you can get from the dealer to replace older LS lifters - it has superseded all the older LS1/LS6 lifters. They are supposed to be a direct drop-in replacement, so based on that I don't see why you'd have to buy different length pushrods. GM isn't going to specify a drop-in replacement that needs new pushrods.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure it's not an exhaust leak. Mine ticks badly when cold, sounds mechanical nature, but it's the driver's side manifold gasket leaking due to a broken bolt.

LS7 lifters are 0.050" taller than stock lifters, so you will increase your preload if you use the same pushrods. I measured mine and wen't with shorter pushrods, 7.350" I believe to give me about the same preload.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
LS7 lifters are 0.050" taller than stock lifters, so you will increase your preload if you use the same pushrods.....
Yes, and no. After hours of reading on this, it appears that there might be 2 different versions of the "ls7" lifter...varying .050 from each other. At least, that's the best that I can tell...

You're spot-on with suggesting that he measure. It's always the best way to go.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
The LS7 lifter is now the only part you can get from the dealer to replace older LS lifters - it has superseded all the older LS1/LS6 lifters. They are supposed to be a direct drop-in replacement, so based on that I don't see why you'd have to buy different length pushrods. GM isn't going to specify a drop-in replacement that needs new pushrods.

That's true...I guess I should have worded better. What I was trying to say was to get the quietest valve train possible he might have to replace the PR's. That's why I mentioned I wasn't sure if "lifter tick" was the actual lifter or an incorrect sized PR's from the factory.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:40 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Thanks! see this is why i come to LS1tech before planning out a build. so much help
Old 04-24-2012, 08:55 PM
12 Second Club

For my new build my shop is recommending the Comp lifters. They really don't cost much more than the LS7s. Is there much of an advantage?
Old 04-24-2012, 09:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Get the LS7 lifters and the LS2 trays. Some lifters have spun on the stock LS1 trays. Best deal for both is from WS6 store.

Quick Reply: Collapsed Lifter Replacement Advice