What rockers under stock valve covers? - LS1TECH

Log In 


Generation III Internal Engine a.sponlink:link {font-size: 9px;} img.surround{ border-color: #000000; border-width:1px; margin-bottom: 9.5px; } span.sponsortext { font-size: 10px; }
1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by
Texas Speed & Performance

What rockers under stock valve covers?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-22-2012, 03:02 PM   #1
TECH Fanatic
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
salemetro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Salem/Keizer
Posts: 1,118
Default What rockers under stock valve covers?

After using search and reading for a while, I'm still left scratching my head on this one....

What are the best 1.7 rockers (adjustable or not) that will fit under a stock valve cover? I've been looking at Jessel, YT, HS, etc, but am not sure which way to go to keep it all under the stock cover.
salemetro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 04:04 PM   #2
Launching!
iTrader: (17)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 228
Default

I here some people say YT and HS require getting that spacer for the stock valve cover. you can always just keep your stock rockers and upgrade them with the comp cams trunnion mod.
SF 1HOTLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:02 PM   #3
TECH Addict
iTrader: (2)
 
Darkman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Spring, Texas
Posts: 2,175
Default

Jesel Sportsman Shaft Mounts (non-adjustable), Yella Terra Ultralites, and some of the Harland Sharp rockers are designed to fit underneath the stock valve cover. There may be exceptions, and there may be cases where you actually need to file or Dremel a place or two to make it work.

I would also be concerned with selecting a rocker that will handle the spring pressure. For example, the Jesels are rated to 900 pounds of open spring pressure, whereas the Yella Terras, (and stock rockers for that matter) are only reliable up to 400 pounds of open spring pressure.
Darkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:12 PM   #4
TECH Fanatic
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
salemetro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Salem/Keizer
Posts: 1,118
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF 1HOTLS1 View Post
I here some people say YT and HS require getting that spacer for the stock valve cover. you can always just keep your stock rockers and upgrade them with the comp cams trunnion mod.
I already have the trunion upgrade....swapped cams and looking for a better swipe pattern. Spacer for the valve cover? Ill have to do some more searching....
salemetro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:15 PM   #5
TECH Addict
iTrader: (2)
 
Darkman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Spring, Texas
Posts: 2,175
Default

http://www.summitracing.com/search/b.../?autoview=SKU
Darkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:15 PM   #6
TECH Fanatic
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
salemetro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Salem/Keizer
Posts: 1,118
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkman View Post
Jesel Sportsman Shaft Mounts (non-adjustable), Yella Terra Ultralites, and some of the Harland Sharp rockers are designed to fit underneath the stock valve cover. There may be exceptions, and there may be cases where you actually need to file or Dremel a place or two to make it work.

I would also be concerned with selecting a rocker that will handle the spring pressure. For example, the Jesels are rated to 900 pounds of open spring pressure, whereas the Yella Terras, (and stock rockers for that matter) are only reliable up to 400 pounds of open spring pressure.
Thanks for the heads up.....im at 400 closed. Which jessel's are you meaning?
salemetro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:17 PM   #7
TECH Fanatic
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
salemetro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Salem/Keizer
Posts: 1,118
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkman View Post
Thanks for the link!
salemetro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:25 PM   #8
TECH Addict
iTrader: (2)
 
Darkman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Spring, Texas
Posts: 2,175
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by salemetro View Post
Thanks for the heads up.....im at 400 closed. Which jessel's are you meaning?

Jesel KSS-307070

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/JES-KSS-307070/

(The Summit picture shows an adjustable version, but these are not adjustable).
Darkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:04 PM   #9
TECH Fanatic
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
salemetro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Salem/Keizer
Posts: 1,118
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkman View Post
Jesel KSS-307070

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/JES-KSS-307070/

(The Summit picture shows an adjustable version, but these are not adjustable).
Chunk o $$$....but gonna have to throw down the funds if that's all that is available. Thanks :-)
salemetro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:23 PM   #10
TECH Regular
 
ZeeOSix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 452
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkman View Post
... the Yella Terras, (and stock rockers for that matter) are only reliable up to 400 pounds of open spring pressure.
Where did the 400 lbs open spring pressure specification come from for the stock rocker arms?
ZeeOSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:45 PM   #11
TECH Addict
iTrader: (2)
 
Darkman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Spring, Texas
Posts: 2,175
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix View Post
Where did the 400 lbs open spring pressure specification come from for the stock rocker arms?

what rocker arms to run??????
Car running extremely rich and very rough idle
broke a rocker
Darkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Comp 16755 Lifter/Holley 241-91 Valve Cover Senator Generation III Internal Engine 3 07-12-2016 05:08 PM
Do COMP Ultra Pro Mag Rocker arms fit under stock valve covers? SPDEMON LT1-LT4 Modifications 13 05-27-2015 09:30 PM
Proform 66915 Rockers- fit under stock valve covers? SPDEMON LT1-LT4 Modifications 6 02-05-2015 04:36 PM
can I use 1.6 rockers under stock valve covers blog78 LT1-LT4 Modifications 17 09-04-2011 02:44 PM
what 1.8 roller rockers will fit under stock valve covers jeffy-jam Generation III Internal Engine 3 10-01-2007 05:14 PM


Tags
02, 05, 400, arms, cover, fit, l33, lb, pressure, rocker, rockers, sportsman, spring, stock, valve

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:20 PM.