Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve Cover Clearance Issue need input

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 08:17 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve Cover Clearance Issue need input

Today I installed Harland Sharp 1.7 non-adjustable rockers and my friend is running them and had no clearance issues and Hardland Sharp said they clear stock valve covers. Everything looked good and when I turned on the car I heard a loud tapping sound. Pulled off both valve covers and 2 rockers on the driver side hit the covers and chipped a little bit off the tip of rocker. Not enough to do damage but now I am confused on why only 2 hit when I was told they would clear? Can I shave down or remove the baffle inside the valve cover or is that there for a reason? I would really like to use these stock covers instead of wasting money on taller covers unless its my only option.
Also is it possible I had clearance issues bc my trex cam has more lift than my friends who has .595 lift vs my .610?
Old 04-29-2012, 08:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You can clearance the inside of the valve cover with a dremel tool. I would try to tell where it is hitting and only remove the baffle if it is actually involved.

In the unlikely event that you cannot get enough clearance, Summit Racing (and others) sell spacers.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:06 PM
Launching!

Thanks hopefully the dremel works.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:16 AM
Teching In

I've got the same problem on the drivers side. I have had the valve cover off 3 times to remove material and it is still hitting. I could see the first spot where it was hitting but now I am not sure where it is hitting. I hope it wasn't that it bent the push rod when it was initially hitting and that is what I am hearing now.

The Harland Sharp rockers are the worst aftermarket automotive product I have ever used. I wish I would have bought the cheap Summit ones...

Jason
Old 05-10-2012, 08:20 PM
Launching!

I removed the baffle inside the valve cover on the driver side and it corrected my problem. Trust me you don't want the summit rockers I had 2 break on me with under 1k miles. Once you clearance your valve cover you will be happy with the HS rockers.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MTC_75vette
I removed the baffle inside the valve cover on the driver side and it corrected my problem. Trust me you don't want the summit rockers I had 2 break on me with under 1k miles. Once you clearance your valve cover you will be happy with the HS rockers.
X2 with clearance & have had no further issues since 04

Quick Reply: Valve Cover Clearance Issue need input