Sponsored by:

Bulk ARP bolts torque spec

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 08:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Bulk ARP bolts torque spec

Do you guys use ARP specs or GM?

I'm using the bulk fasteners for the oil pump mounting, cam timing gear, and plate. I plan on using loctite for this application.

ARP's 24 ftlbs or GMs 18 ftlbs?

(Threading into the Aluminum block just scares me lol..)
Old 05-03-2012, 08:39 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

I'd use GM's numbers. The ARP numbers don't take into account the material you'll be threading into, they'll assume iron/steel, not softer aluminum.

Originally Posted by badazz81z28
Stud them!! lolz...
Old 05-03-2012, 08:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you guys use ARP specs or GM?

I'm using the bulk fasteners for the oil pump mounting, cam timing gear, and plate. I plan on using loctite for this application.

ARP's 24 ftlbs or GMs 18 ftlbs?

For that stuff I would stick with GM specs. ARP called for 75 ft lb on the head bolts so I went with that.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
I'd use GM's numbers. The ARP numbers don't take into account the material you'll be threading into, they'll assume iron/steel, not softer aluminum.

Stud them!! lolz...
I've got to disagree here. Bolts (or studs) need to be in tension with a predetermined amount of stretch in order to do their job. You will only get the correct number from the bolt manufacturer. Another reason to never use a bolt when a stud is available!
Old 05-03-2012, 10:06 PM
TECH Addict

Interesting,

Is anyone smart on the affect torque if I omit Ultra Torque lube in place of loctite? Or no difference?
Old 05-04-2012, 04:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

No way would you torque an 8mm bolt to 24 ft lbs into aluminum! You will strip the threads out of the block. Follow GM's 18 ft lbs spec on the oil pump & 24 ft lbs on the cam gear.

Russ Kemp
Old 05-04-2012, 07:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Russ K
No way would you torque an 8mm bolt to 24 ft lbs into aluminum! You will strip the threads out of the block. Follow GM's 18 ft lbs spec on the oil pump & 24 ft lbs on the cam gear.

Russ Kemp
The bolts have an 8mm head but are actually 6mm bolts & youre right theres no way I would put that much torque on them.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by flintwrench69
The bolts have an 8mm head but are actually 6mm bolts & youre right theres no way I would put that much torque on them.
No, they are 8mm X 1.25 bolts. The head is 10mm
Old 05-04-2012, 08:31 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Perhaps these (ARP) bolts will achieve the ARP spec if turned into an iron block. This is why GM lists the torque for these bolts into an aluminum block at less.

I doubt you'd reach the "correct" fastener stretch on these small bolts threaded into an aluminum block-as also stated by Russ.

On such a small thread at these low tension levels, I don't think using locktite instead of thread lube will make any difference. Not a bad idea to use locktite-you'll sleep better.

Follow GM's numbers.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:47 PM
TECH Addict

Yea I would sleep alot better knowing the cam retaining plate and cam sprocket are not going to jiggle loose.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:37 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Russ K

Russ Kemp
Actually just found out that the countersunk cam retainer plate bolts should only go 12ft/lbs. Latest spec from a subscription service the machine shop I use pays for.
Old 05-07-2012, 04:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Interesting,

Is anyone smart on the affect torque if I omit Ultra Torque lube in place of loctite? Or no difference?
The bolt preload is determined by the applied torque, the bolt parameters (size, thread, fit class, etc.) and the friction. Friction is the only parameter you can "attempt" to control and it is usually done with lube. That's why ARP spent so much time developing their new lube. As to the friction differences between their lube and Loctite, only ARP would have that data and I would go straight to them.

However, you can spend a lot of time chasing these parameters but if you don't have an accurate torque wrench it is all in vain.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When i ordered and installed my arp bolts, i ordered the ones made for the ls1 engine, so when arp developed the specs, it was for the aluminum engine. Cleaning the holes is the part i always worry about. Clean, chase clean, paper towels to poke in the holes and clean again, so theres no extra resistance when threading in a bolt
Old 05-07-2012, 08:43 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by vettenuts
The bolt preload is determined by the applied torque, the bolt parameters (size, thread, fit class, etc.) and the friction. Friction is the only parameter you can "attempt" to control and it is usually done with lube. That's why ARP spent so much time developing their new lube. As to the friction differences between their lube and Loctite, only ARP would have that data and I would go straight to them.

However, you can spend a lot of time chasing these parameters but if you don't have an accurate torque wrench it is all in vain.
I don't know...I have their LS1 cam retaining plate and cam bolts and neither have instructions. ARP doesnt list the instructions for these on their website.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:04 PM
TECH Addict

Get this....

ARP gets a BIG thumbs down!!! I tried to get the torque spec from them and they said 24-28ftlbs for the 8mm bolts. I asked them if that tq was safe for an aluminum engine, I get "That is the torque for those bolts"! ARG! I may not even use them now. The won't even give a straight answer.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Get this....

ARP gets a BIG thumbs down!!! I tried to get the torque spec from them and they said 24-28ftlbs for the 8mm bolts. I asked them if that tq was safe for an aluminum engine, I get "That is the torque for those bolts"! ARG! I may not even use them now. The won't even give a straight answer.
Once again, the whole point of torquing a fastener is to apply the correct amount of stretch (preload) to it. "It" being the fastener. Any lesser value will risk the fastener coming loose, any greater value will risk breaking the fastener. The material you are threading it into does NOT come into play here. If you are worried about pulling the threads, I'd suggest you get a heli-coil kit and get after it...
Old 05-07-2012, 09:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by S10xGN
Once again, the whole point of torquing a fastener is to apply the correct amount of stretch (preload) to it. "It" being the fastener. Any lesser value will risk the fastener coming loose, any greater value will risk breaking the fastener. The material you are threading it into does NOT come into play here. If you are worried about pulling the threads, I'd suggest you get a heli-coil kit and get after it...
You may be right in this context, which involves the threads in an LS bock, but there is no engineeering/physical rule that says that the bolt will always stretch, give, or break before the threads of whatever it is tightened into.

Starting on page 12 of this link is a discussion what happens when the tensile strength of the bolt is too high relative to the nut to which is to be attached.

http://www.fastenal.com/content/docu...renceGuide.pdf

So, it is theoretically possible to have a bolt that will destroy the female threads into which it is tighened before it achieves a certain torque specification (based on yield strength which is what ARP uses).
Old 05-08-2012, 04:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Using the GM specifications will provide the same bolt preload. However, if you lubricate the bolt where the GM specification does not require it (this includes loctite), then you are putting more preload into the bolt due to a reduction in friction and hence into the aluminum threads. This is one reason I always cringe when I see guys adding loctite/lube where GM doesn't require it as they run the risk of internal thread damage especially since most are using lessor cost and likely less accurate torque wrenches.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:22 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Using the GM specifications will provide the same bolt preload. However, if you lubricate the bolt where the GM specification does not require it (this includes loctite), then you are putting more preload into the bolt due to a reduction in friction and hence into the aluminum threads. This is one reason I always cringe when I see guys adding loctite/lube where GM doesn't require it as they run the risk of internal thread damage especially since most are using lessor cost and likely less accurate torque wrenches.
Are suggesting less than 18ftlbs when using loctite?
Old 05-08-2012, 02:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have the part number for these bolts?

Quick Reply: Bulk ARP bolts torque spec