Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slp headers

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 03:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slp headers

Alright guys I finally decided to start doing mods on my 99 z28 m6. I bought a set of used SLP LT's. I've seen write ups done on the installs but I guess my question is how come I don't see very many guys going with SLP headers? I got them for 200 and in good shape. Just kind of asking opinions on them, I plan on making my own catted x pipe and just reusing the stock cats or might go with high flows, don't want to get rid of them because of California smog laws I won't be able to come close to passing smog
Old 05-04-2012, 03:37 PM
Launching!

i think slp heads are good headers i think most people dont go with them because they tend to hang to low limiting your clearance to ground and speed bumps, if your keeping cats go with high flow
Old 05-04-2012, 10:49 PM
On The Tree

is there anything special I should do to stay within California smog limits? Are there any Cali guys that run SLP's or any LT's for that matter that can give me advice to keeping the car within smog specs so I don't have to go changing **** out every time I have to smog the car?
Old 05-04-2012, 11:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

TransamGCS hit the nail on the head. Most guys dont run the slp's because they hang real low and if you ever lower the car, you're just asking for dissaster. All the Cali guys Ive seen on here seem to have no problem with high flow cats passing smog. I think some even get away with running really mild cams like the tr224 and tr220 cams.

Just a heads up, probably could have got more responses in the external engine section, but its all good. Welcome to LS1tech
Old 05-04-2012, 11:21 PM
Banned

$200 is a great deal on them, but the ground clearance issue is huge. Really have to drive the car differently with these installed, and forget about lowering it.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:27 PM
On The Tree

Yea I wasnt too sure where to post this one at.
Kinda wish I would have thought about the clearance issue before I bought them however..my car is lowered probably about an 1"-1.5" with sorry excuses of meats for tires. The guy I bought it from went with 245/35 R18 wheels. I'm going to install the headers tomorrow and drive the car to work with open headers if I have any clearance issues that will definitely let me know then. I guess I could just resell them and get a set of pacesetters.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:29 PM
On The Tree

Would I be better off with going with a catted Y or catted x pipe? I was thinkin an x pipe to make it a true dual exhaust. There are probably going to be concerns with clearance again because the car is lowered though right? Thanks for all the suggestions.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:41 AM
On The Tree

I also noticed there are AIR ports for the headers but what about the EGR?
Old 05-05-2012, 02:14 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by my_99Z
I also noticed there are AIR ports for the headers but what about the EGR?
what year ls1 did the previous owner of the slp headers have after 2000 model year gm did away with egr so if the headers came off a 01 or 02 ls1 than thats why their are no egr provisions. just get a egr block off plate/plug for you intake manifold and have the egr deleted by a tuner, since you are keeping cats on you have to keep the AIR.
Old 05-05-2012, 05:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 182 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by TransamGCS
i think slp heads are good headers i think most people dont go with them because they tend to hang to low limiting your clearance to ground and speed bumps, if your keeping cats go with high flow
I have to correct you on your statement but only the older slp headers aka "tuned headers" hang extremely low. I have the new style header they have and they are tucked up as high as any header could be tucked up. Idk know which ones he bought but if they are the new style he will be just fine. The fitment of the headers are great but the quality of the header is sh#t. I have had mine on my car for almost four years now and after the first 8 months on the ceramic coating hand start to peal and now there is almost no coating left on the headers so they look like crap now. On top of that i have blown out three of there high flow cats on a bolt on car so you cant tell me that they are built with quality.
Old 05-05-2012, 05:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Bc they're way overpriced brand new but you got a great deal and as others have already said ground clearance is terrible. I had them on my old 99 Ta and had to be so careful anywhere I went it wasn't worth it
Old 05-05-2012, 06:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

And as stated above the coating came off mine and rusted bad. I wasn't too happy with them, especially for the price, but I bought them new. For the deal you got I would sell them and get a set of stainless tsp lts. Can't beat the price and quality
Old 05-06-2012, 09:51 PM
On The Tree

Ok quick question. I'm in the middle of it, I'm trying to put the headers in and I'm running into some problems, thinking about lifting one side of the motor at a time, my only question is where the hell do I lift the motor from? I'm using a cherry picker to lift it
Old 05-09-2012, 02:20 PM
On The Tree

Other than the SLP headers are there any other long tube headers that I can run that will still allow me to stay within smog limits? The TSP ones look awesome but they don't have any AIR or EGR ports. I'm trying to do this so I can still pass emissions tests lol
Old 05-09-2012, 02:50 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by my_99Z
Other than the SLP headers are there any other long tube headers that I can run that will still allow me to stay within smog limits? The TSP ones look awesome but they don't have any AIR or EGR ports. I'm trying to do this so I can still pass emissions tests lol
Sorry man. As soon as you install the headers you'll be illegal in Cali. The cali state laws says that the stock exhaust set up cannot be altered in any way. Even the cats have to be in the stock location which LT's do not help. Even putting EGR or AIR on your car with any LT headers is illegal. You either gotta run illegal or stock. But it's pretty easy to find peeps who can help "pass you" on your smog.

Welcome to team Illegal. Pull up a chair....

Last edited by Sommer86; 05-09-2012 at 02:58 PM.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:27 PM
On The Tree

Hm. Sounds like I might as well go the full illegal route then huh haha. Havent really looked around for people to help me pass the car. I guess I'll have to start long once I get this done lol
Old 05-09-2012, 03:27 PM
On The Tree

Have to start looking*
Old 05-09-2012, 04:59 PM
On The Tree

So I get the drivers side in, but the passenger side is giving me all kinds of hell. Can't seem to gt it past the part in the bell housing that the starter sits in. Any suggestions? I've got the pass. Side mm loose and the motor tilted too.

Quick Reply: Slp headers