Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harmonic Balancer HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 03:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harmonic Balancer HELP!

Hello LS1 Forums, I have been a member for a while but this is my first post. I'm hoping you guys can help me out!

I am in the middle of installing new heads, cam, clutch and flywheel on my 2004 Cadillac CTS-V with LS6 motor. In my excitement to pull the engine off I completely spaced marking the Harmonic Balancer before I pulled it off, am I screwed?

Is there anything I can do besides pulling the whole engine and taking the crank to a machine shop to have it re-balanced?

Will not getting it reinstalled exactly have any effects other than wear and tear on the crank?

Thank you for your assistance!!

Elliot
Old 05-08-2012, 03:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Your motor is internally balanced. You notice that there isn't a keyway in the crank or the balancer. So it doesn't really matter.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:34 PM
10 Second Club

I have never re-used a stock pulley but I don't think you have anything to worry abou.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thank you!!! whew, i was adding up the dollars in my head for the mistake..

Another quick question (excuse my noob ignorance), can you tell me what the benefits of a super damper would be? I don't want an underdrive pully as I want my accessories fully powered (lots of stereo juice). I understand how an underdrive would help as there would be less load on the engine, but what if any would the benefit be to upgrading to ati super dampner over stock?
Old 05-08-2012, 07:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

No need to worry about the way the stock pulley goes back on. If you look on the back side of your stock pulley there is big "O" ring all the way around the out side. That helps with harmonic balance, not as good as the ATI but fine for what your doing. I had to get the ATI to take my blower pulley and it is a very nice piece, but I would save the $500 and use it for something else.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Check your stock damper for weights. The manual states to mark it before removal because they will sometimes add weights to the damper for balance.

The ATI is zero balanced, rebuildable and a very good quality unit. It is also keyed if you want to easily pin the crank while you have it off. I would go either with stock or with the ATI.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Most remove and replace without marking. The engines are supposed to be "balanced" from the factory so it should not matter. If the pulley had weights I'd venture to say it is to balance the pulley itself, NOT aide in an internally balanced engine....because well that would defeat the purpose.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Check your stock damper for weights. The manual states to mark it before removal because they will sometimes add weights to the damper for balance.
I'm with Vettenuts. However I'm not sure if the CTS version of the LS6 crankshaft balancer has 12 holes 1" deep at 30 degree increments like the C5 balancers do (plus some extra holes of varying depth for zero-balancing the balancer itself). It also only applied to manual versions of C5, not auto transmissions.

If your LS6 balancer has the 12 holes I'd check those 12 holes for a steel slug filling half or the whole hole. No slug, you should have the same net balance and zero concerns. If any were in there, you don't have the matchmark so you will be off by up to 3 grams per small weight you find. This would double the imbalance if the balancer were installed 180* off. If you have any weights, I might suggest buying a new balancer with no weights to eliminate the possibility of that doubling effect.

Pics of a balancer with the weight, and more info on the GM procedure for C5 balancers: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...ight-info.html
Old 05-09-2012, 07:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Let's get this straight, all manuals say mark EVERYTHING before you remove it. It's just good practice/habit when doing mechanic work. It does not mean it is always necessary.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:59 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
It does not mean it is always necessary.
Elliot, I suggest taking a peek at your 12 balancer holes and see if there is any reason for concern. A new balancer is only $70 or so.

In the OP's case with an LS6, it is necessary. This Caddy forum thread seems to show one weight marked with crayon (in the shadow of the last pic) in an LS6 CTS-V so they do exist: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...lure-help.html

A 6 gram factory-installed imbalance is significant. At least avoid making it a 12 gram imbalance since matchmarks were not made.

Quick Reply: Harmonic Balancer HELP!