Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just realized that there was a bit of water in my "new" LQ9

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 04:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Just realized that there was a bit of water in my "new" LQ9

So I yanked my heads off of my 03 LQ9 and found water in two cylinders on each side, clearly the guys at the yard had let the engine sit out in the rain and water had gotten into it.. smart guys...
Luckily it wasn't in there too long and the rust was minimal, I may be lucky and avoided pitting, althought there is some discoloring.
So pissed right now because I might have to bore out the block now and that's going to kill my budget... how can I check if the block is ok?
Old 05-10-2012, 12:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will post pictures tonight... I got all the rust off with a lot of scrubbing.
Totally pissed though, as this engine was running when I paid for it.
Some unsuspecting person would have hydro-locked this thing for sure if they had put it straight in.

I did notice a few other things though. The pistons cleaned right off with a cloth and some WD 40, they were almost spotless. There were only spots here and there that I cleaned off later with steel wool. Is this normal? Is it a good sign? When I ripped apart my old LS1 I couldn't get the pistons clean no matter what I did...

Second thing I noticed was that the drivers side rockers, springs, pushrods were all covered in very dark residue. The passenger side head, rockers, springs, and pushrods looked almost brand new with no staining and residue at all. What would cause this?