Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Oil pressure Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 11:49 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Oil pressure Pressure

I have a carbed 6.0 402 stroker that all of a sudden started making lifter noise. Had no oil pressure guage at that point. Fabbed a port from the stock oil pressure switch and got zero. Left that hole open, fired it up for around ten seconds, nothing. Ok, a little spurt, but mostly air. So, I pulled the pan fully expecting to see a cracked pickup or a split o ring at the pump, all looked good. Before that I put an extra 8 quarts in the engine, jacked up the back end to see if my o ring has failed between the pickup and pump. Still nothing on the guage at that time.

Help me Obiwan. I pulled #8 rod cap and it still looks great. Before I kill it, new oil pump maybe? Does it have a pressure relief valve like BB and SB Chevys? The pump is a ported LS6 according the guy, a very knowledgeable LS guy at that.

Andy
Old 05-12-2012, 07:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The pump has an internal relief valve, it could be stuck open...
Old 05-13-2012, 01:15 AM
TECH Resident

Andy check this link out hope it help http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh....php?t=454008s
Old 05-13-2012, 05:05 PM
Teching In

Mike, speny sn hour today pulling the pan and oil pump. The pickup was def sealed so I swapped out the oil pump from the other LQ4. No dice, still just spurting oil and air out of the rear of the block. I guess tomorrow I need to pull the tranny out and see if that platic plug is fitted in the lower LH of the block. The 16mm freeze plug was def seated in the LF front of the block. I pulled the rear cover on that aluminum 5.3 on the stand and I can see where the plug is so I know what to look for. it seems tobe oiling the rods and mains some as there are no knocks, just buttloads of lifter noise.