Sponsored by:

P-to-V contact question.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 05:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default P-to-V contact question.

Howdy,

Questions: Just looking for a collection of opinions. Has anyone had P-to-V contact and just replaced components and kept going? What can I do to test out if the bottom end is really O.K.? I can upload pictures of the damage if it helps.

Assumptions and thoughts:

1. I know this is not the correct way to fix the problem. I probably should take the engine out and have it looked at.
2. Potential to ruin a perfectly good set of valve train components.
3. The bottom end has around 100,000 miles on it.
4. This is my fun car, something I race or depend on.

What Happened?: Patriot Performance 5.3 Liter Heads/Cam package purchased and installed around 2003/2004. It was installed on a stock LS1 bottom end. I put around 35,000 miles on the setup and I had a valve stem/keeper let go on the driver’s side rear cylinder. This in turn made one intake valve drop down and contact the piston. After that the valve just bent and didn’t break off. I do see a small moon indention on the piston. It’s no longer than a typical fingernail length in depth. I don’t see any cylinder scratching or evidence of cylinder damage. Actually all the cylinders look pretty good.

Plan of attack: I don’t have 6-8K to blow on a car right now. I plan on ordering a new Heads and Cam package, all new lifters, pushrods, and rocker arms. (Oil pump and timing chain while I’m there) The total is just about 3K shipped from TSP. I’m pretty sure this should be every component in the valve train that could be affected.

Thoughts, concerns, ideas?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 05-14-2012, 05:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From the sound of it, you may be ok with your plan. Pictures would help.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here are some pictures. If you would like to see the full images un-altered/resized let me know.

Thanks again,
Chris
Attached Thumbnails P-to-V contact question.-head1.jpg   P-to-V contact question.-head2.jpg   P-to-V contact question.-head4.jpg   P-to-V contact question.-head5.jpg   P-to-V contact question.-head6.jpg  

Old 05-14-2012, 09:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As long as there is no cylinder damage AT ALL or anything besides the scarring of the piston, I would say you should be fine

Quick Reply: P-to-V contact question.