Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hey where did that carb washer go?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 09:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey where did that carb washer go?

Literally went to put the carb on top of the motor to finish it tonight and one of the stud washers is missing. I can't find it any where. So guess what I get to do? I get to take this thing back down to a short block and make sure its not in the intake or down in a piston.

I think I am done for the night. Gotta have a better attitude before I break down all my work. I had everything taped off but you just know it fell in the intake when I pulled the carb earlier tonight. If I don't tear it down it will be in the piston. If I do I probably want find anything. But you gotta do what you gotta do.

Kevin
Attached Thumbnails Hey where did that carb washer go?-img_0904.jpg  
Old 05-16-2012, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think a bore scope is your best bet. You can look down the intake runners, then take out the spark plugs and inspect each cylinder.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:21 AM
TECH Resident

Pop the intake off so you can look down the runners. Get a pen magnet and you can see if its down there. With the right size one you can also fit it in the spark plug holes too. Not sure what size washer it is, but you should be able to go all around the top of the piston and in the chamber. Hope you find it.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:27 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by DropTopBird
Get a pen magnet....
Unless it's a stainless washer!

I dropped a stainless screw into the runner while doing intake manifold gaskets on my '03 Blazer. I called upon my master electrician skills and fished it out with a wire bent into a snake. Disaster averted.

Good luck!
Old 05-17-2012, 07:35 AM
Teching In

Default Thanks...

Well the good news is that I had not installed the rockers since I am having the machine shop press in new Comp trunions. So that meant all of the valves are closed. I pulled the intake and looked down all the runners and no washer sitting on the top of the valves. I used a extendable pen magnet as suggested and found nothing with it either. I could see pretty good into the head so visual and magnetic check yielded no washer. Thankfully it was not stainless so the magnet is a good check. I tested on one of the other washers just to make sure.

I do have some other questions though. I installed the heads with the FelPro MLS gaskets and ARP head bolts. Its my understanding the head bolts from ARP are reusable unlike the stockers. Are the gaskets reusable after they have been torqued down?

Thanks for all the great feedback guys.

K
Old 05-18-2012, 06:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by brow318
Literally went to put the carb on top of the motor to finish it tonight and one of the stud washers is missing. I can't find it any where. So guess what I get to do? I get to take this thing back down to a short block and make sure its not in the intake or down in a piston.

I think I am done for the night. Gotta have a better attitude before I break down all my work. I had everything taped off but you just know it fell in the intake when I pulled the carb earlier tonight. If I don't tear it down it will be in the piston. If I do I probably want find anything. But you gotta do what you gotta do.

Kevin
Is that the MSD ignition box or the one made by msd and sold by Edelbrock?
Old 05-18-2012, 06:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by brow318
Well the good news is that I had not installed the rockers since I am having the machine shop press in new Comp trunions. So that meant all of the valves are closed. I pulled the intake and looked down all the runners and no washer sitting on the top of the valves. I used a extendable pen magnet as suggested and found nothing with it either. I could see pretty good into the head so visual and magnetic check yielded no washer. Thankfully it was not stainless so the magnet is a good check. I tested on one of the other washers just to make sure.

I do have some other questions though. I installed the heads with the FelPro MLS gaskets and ARP head bolts. Its my understanding the head bolts from ARP are reusable unlike the stockers. Are the gaskets reusable after they have been torqued down?

Thanks for all the great feedback guys.

K
I've even reused MLS head gaskets after the motor has been run.....take some paint thinner on a rag aid any of the black coating comes of and rub the rest off....then paint it with copper gasket spray and slam it back together.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:42 AM
Teching In

That is the MSD box. I wanted the option to tune using laptop.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

So if the bolt isn't in the intake or the intake runners, where is it?