Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifter install question

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 01:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Lifter install question

Do new lifters need to be soaked in oil prior to installing? If so, how long? Also, when changing out the lifter trays, are you guys drilling holes in them? I remember reading something about drilling holes to help with oil drainage or something like that.

Thanks
Old 05-21-2012, 02:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYNAVY30
Do new lifters need to be soaked in oil prior to installing? If so, how long? Also, when changing out the lifter trays, are you guys drilling holes in them? I remember reading something about drilling holes to help with oil drainage or something like that.

Thanks
I soaked mine in oil for around a day before installing, but I bet a couple hours would to the trick. I've always soaked them down for a good while before just to ensure there was enough lube until the oil pump takes over.

as for drilling holes, here's a good thread about it.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...trays-not.html
Old 05-21-2012, 02:12 PM
8 Second Club

Received 698 Likes on 439 Posts

I don't think the oil is going to soak into all the internal workings of the lifter by soaking. But it won't hurt for sure.
I spun the engine with the starter after installing mine but before adding the valvetrain. They pumped up fine and it primed my new oil pump at the same time.

If you ask 50 guys here you will get 50 different reason to drill or not to drill and why or why not.

I'm a driller. I freely admit it.

I used a stepper bit on the LS2 trays and they drilled like butter. I did about a 3/8" hole.

Ron
Old 05-21-2012, 02:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just reused my stock ls1 trays. No holes. Big cam, high flow ls6 ported pump, no problems here. I personally know 2 c5s with mods and over 250,000 miles on stock trays. No issues. Tray fills in seconds and over flows, to me thats safer than drilling a hole and risking low oil at any certain lifter.
Like the man above said, your engine, you get to choose.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would prme them if you are not going to prime the engine. That being said, how do you intend to install the pushrods with the lifters being pumped up? I guess you could force the rocker down with the bolt. I wouldnt do it in aluminum, IMHO

I was thinking this was a question abou which direction the lifter oil hole faces.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by badazz81z28
I would prme them if you are not going to prime the engine. That being said, how do you intend to install the pushrods with the lifters being pumped up? I guess you could force the rocker down with the bolt. I wouldnt do it in aluminum, IMHO

I was thinking this was a question abou which direction the lifter oil hole faces.
well, that may very well be my next question....I havent started the install yet, just trying to gather as much info ahead of time as possible prior to diving into the pile of parts sitting in the garage right now
Old 05-21-2012, 06:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Starkey
I soaked mine in oil for around a day before installing, but I bet a couple hours would to the trick. I've always soaked them down for a good while before just to ensure there was enough lube until the oil pump takes over.

as for drilling holes, here's a good thread about it.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...trays-not.html
Thanks, this is mostly a street car so Im not terribly concerned about sustained lateral Gs on long sweepers. I did buy the LS2 trays so Ill use those with the new lifters.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Drilling holes in trays has little use in street application. Funny how a lot of people just jump on bandwagons.
Positive: In combination with high flow pumps, it allows for more oil to drain back to crankcase quicker.
Negative: It weakens the tray's integrity and allow for faster lifter bleed down.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
Drilling holes in trays has little use in street application. Funny how a lot of people just jump on bandwagons.
Positive: In combination with high flow pumps, it allows for more oil to drain back to crankcase quicker.
Negative: It weakens the tray's integrity and allow for faster lifter bleed down.
Thanks!

Quick Reply: Lifter install question