Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help, bad oil consumption and HP loss!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 08:08 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Need Help, bad oil consumption and HP loss!

I will give you a little background on the car.
I have a 1998 Trans Am, it has patriot stage 2 heads and a comp cam with 1.8 SLP roller rockers, weiand aluminum intake, ported/polished throttle body, hooker headers. I rebuilt the motor about 7 years ago and I have only put about 6k miles on it since then. The first time the car was dyoned it was tuned by Jeremy F and laid down 389 with a bad intake leak that kept pulling timing, so I put on some fel pro gaskets and brought it back just for a street tune. That was about 6 or 7 years ago.
Now the last time I changed the oil (mind you the car sits in the garage and only gets driven on weekends occasionaly) it was about 3 quarts low with no leaks under the car? I thought that was very odd, I changed it and havent touched it since which was only about 3 months ago and the car was driven once in that time. Well I just recently installed a 100 wet shot and brought it to be tuned. The tuner called me and said the car was 2 quarts low on oil and smoked like crazy on the all motor dyno run and only laid down 345 with 26 degrees of timing and a 12.7 AFR? That was 5/24/12, I drive the car 40 miles home and then trailered it to the Atlanta F body gathering and drove it once there for a few miles, got her back home and checked the oil and it was over a quart low already!!!!!
What could be causing the car to burn so much oil, he said he did a compression and leak down test and they came up good but something has to explain for the car losing so much HP and all the oil consumption.
What do you guys think????