Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Checking PTV Using Clay Method

Old 05-31-2012, 08:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Checking PTV Using Clay Method

Tomorrow i will be checking PTV clearance on my new combination using the clay method.

I have a couple of my old lifters that have been welded up.

Am i supposed to be using the light weight checking springs for this method or just use my regular valve springs i will be running? I seem to get mixed reviews on this.

And should I use the pushrods i will be using or my adjustable checker set to zero lash?

Thanks,

Andrew
Old 05-31-2012, 08:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You use the real valve springs when checking with solid lifter or in your case welded. The Checking springs are ONLY if you plan to use the Hydraulic lifters as the real springs would cause the lifters to bleed off and decrease lift.

You cant use the pushrods with the solid lifters as they will be too long. You need to use the checker and set it to zero lash.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by badazz81z28
You use the real valve springs when checking with solid lifter or in your case welded. The Checking springs are ONLY if you plan to use the Hydraulic lifters as the real springs would cause the lifters to bleed off and decrease lift.

You cant use the pushrods with the solid lifters as they will be too long. You need to use the checker and set it to zero lash.
Thank for the quick response. I can actually do this either way because i do have a set of lightweight checking springs and my heads are not assembled yet. (was going to to do that right before checking PTV)

So is one way easier then the other? If i use the lightweight checking springs and my hydraulic lifters would i just use my pushrods that are going in the engine?

Thanks again

Search this Thread