Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam position sensor code?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 01:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cam position sensor code?

So, long story short, I finished up my H/C/I/E install, got the car running(ish) and dropped it off at the tuner. That's where the trouble started. I started receiving bad news, starting with a leaking fuel rail, then fried pcm, and most recently, a cam position sensor code. I don't know which code it is exactly, because the shop is being very short with me, as well as extremely condescending and unhelpful. Anyway, after checking the sensor itself and "confirming" that it was good, they are insistent that the cam was installed 180 degrees off, which doesn't seem possible to me. Considering it has a new pcm, I don't think that it could "remember" which stroke it is on, since the crank reluctor only goes around once. As long as the dots line up, the cam is in the right position, right? At most, a crank position re-learn may be needed, but I don't see how the cam could be off by 180 degrees, especially since the car ran before I dropped it off. My thoughts, from reading on here, is that the cam bolts may have backed out slightly, allowing the cam to walk. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing the code?? And if you're wondering, I won't be trusting the shop to do any more work. Even if they are competent (which I'm starting to doubt), their attitude and the way they've treated me is unforgivable.
Old 06-03-2012, 02:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Get your car back, get them to pay for the fried PCM, and go elseehere, they have no clue about what they said.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yup, get your car out off that shop right now....they do not know what they are doing!
Old 06-03-2012, 07:11 PM
On The Tree

Yeah, that's my plan. Going to pick it up tomorrow. I am not sure how to go about refusing to pay for the bullshit labor charges I know they're gonna try to shove off on me, but I'm certainly never going back. I am quite disappointed, considering that I've heard from people on here that they're a pretty reputable shop, never mind the fact that they're a sponsor.

Last edited by brutalis; 06-03-2012 at 07:28 PM.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

What is the name and address of the shop, post it here...?
Old 06-04-2012, 10:32 PM
On The Tree

I don't wanna say until I get things resolved with them. But I will say that while I was there today, one of the guys tried to tell me that the cam and crank rotate at the same speed... It took a lot of willpower not to go apeshit.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Make sure the front cam sensor plug is plugged in...I got cam sensor codes after cam install and it ended up being an Fin plug that's right up on the passenger side timing cover it runs along the passenger head and has the egr plug on the same harness extension cluster...good luck bro
Old 06-04-2012, 10:40 PM
TECH Addict

Mechanics can put a lien on the car for the work I believe...I know a few states it's like that but hopefully you get resolved
Old 06-04-2012, 10:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by brutalis
I don't wanna say until I get things resolved with them. But I will say that while I was there today, one of the guys tried to tell me that the cam and crank rotate at the same speed... It took a lot of willpower not to go apeshit.
ask them if this is true, then a ring and pinion also turn at the same speed. rearend gear ratio is pure bs. Everyone's gear ratio is 1:1.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wildcamaro
Make sure the front cam sensor plug is plugged in...I got cam sensor codes after cam install and it ended up being an Fin plug that's right up on the passenger side timing cover it runs along the passenger head and has the egr plug on the same harness extension cluster...good luck bro
It's the '98 style block, with the cam sensor in the rear, and it is most certainly plugged in solidly.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:15 AM
TECH Addict

Not the sensor itself....the wires that come from the sensor tie in at the place I was trying to describe...not trying to insult ya the car it happened on was a 98 z28 so it should have same harness i imagine...it cured my problem instantly...although needed a mail tune to keep from stalling...
Old 06-07-2012, 12:51 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by wildcamaro
Not the sensor itself....the wires that come from the sensor tie in at the place I was trying to describe...not trying to insult ya the car it happened on was a 98 z28 so it should have same harness i imagine...it cured my problem instantly...although needed a mail tune to keep from stalling...
This would be guess. I would check all the wires thoughly. Make sure nothing got damaged or crimped.

Quick Reply: Cam position sensor code?