Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any way of determining forged bottom end?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 02:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Any way of determining forged bottom end?

This is probably a very dumb question but I'm looking at an 01 z06 and the seller says it has forged internals but he doesn't have the receipts since he didn't do the car (bought it with them) but is there any way to possibly tell without tearing into the engine? He said its a forged 383 kit with a stage 1 cam and stage 2 clutch with about 15k miles on the internals and 48k on the car.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The very least thing you can do is take the oil pan off and look for some part numbers on the crank and rods.

Short of that, you won't be able to tell what bottom end it has.

Maybe ask the guy if he can accompany you to a dyno and see what it puts down. Should be able to tell the displacement from the power it puts down.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stage 1 cam? Is that like a 3/4 Race cam? I will bet this guy has no knowledge of the car and it is stock.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:23 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Gunslinger09
Stage 1 cam? Is that like a 3/4 Race cam? I will bet this guy has no knowledge of the car and it is stock.
i said the same thing.. i guess it was a package the previous owner bought and just called it by that. i know he has a dyno sheet and had a supercharger on it for a month but said it was too much power for a DD.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by redtan
The very least thing you can do is take the oil pan off and look for some part numbers on the crank and rods.

Maybe ask the guy if he can accompany you to a dyno and see what it puts down. Should be able to tell the displacement from the power it puts down.
Not if its a stock cube forged short block.

Take it apart.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:36 PM
Teching In

without actually going into the engine you cant tell whats in it. you can however look for clues of and engine being apart. look to see if it has head studs. that means at the very least the heads have been off and studs installed. plus i dont know too many people that would built a bottom end but not put studs on it. if it has stock head bolts, check to see if there are marks on them where the builder would know that the half turn is correct after the heads were torqued. even then, that only proves that the heads have been off.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by redtan

I'm sorry, thats just down right silly!

The best advice I can give is find a borescope and look at the top of the piston through the spark plug hole. You will atleast know if the pistons are forged or not.

Honestly, who tears a motor out to rebuild it at 30K miles? I'm willing to assume the owner thinks because its a vette its "forged" its better right?!?! lol...

And who in their right mind says "it had too much powe"
Old 06-06-2012, 01:05 AM
On The Tree

Pull the oil pan off forged rods look nothing like a stock rod especially an h-beam
Old 06-06-2012, 06:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by my bandit
This is probably a very dumb question but I'm looking at an 01 z06 and the seller says it has forged internals but he doesn't have the receipts since he didn't do the car (bought it with them) but is there any way to possibly tell without tearing into the engine? He said its a forged 383 kit with a stage 1 cam and stage 2 clutch with about 15k miles on the internals and 48k on the car.
If it has a stroker, it should reflect that in the tune. Your pcm has all that info (if it was tuned for it)
Old 06-06-2012, 06:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Not if its a stock cube forged short block.
No, but the guy said in his first post that the seller is advertising as a 383 stroker.

I'm sorry, thats just down right silly!
¿Que? My friend was looking at a CTS-V in ok shape, asked the dealer if he could take it to a shop to have it checked out and dynoed. The dealer had a salesman go with us to a performance shop place and stood there while the car got dynoed and inspected.

Just cuz you don't have the ***** to do it doesn't mean it's a stupid request to make and that noone does it.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:50 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stage 1 this and Stage 2 that.... wow

Boroscope the cylinders look at the pistons, should be a dead give away if at least good slugs are in the car.

Should look like this...

with carbon build up...

I beleive you can also see if how much vaccume the engine is pulling, seems to be a good way of testing cars running stock engine (true stock) classes. Incase there are head work, cam work, or more cubes.

Then pulling the pan and to be honest the owner should be prepared for this but I have been put into that situations many moons ago where I bought something worked over but did not have direct documentation or records. It sucks but you take the risk.

Also could propose to go to the track, see if the MPH is there. Just a outside thought. Aside from pulling valve covers. If the motor has TTY bolts, I would be worried.

Also to mention like said before, the PCM if tuned will show all or frankly offer to pay for a dyno pull or 2 and have the PCM looked at probably the safest and most informative research you can do.

Last edited by BlackScreaminMachine; 06-06-2012 at 07:55 AM.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ehhh im just going to say it sounds like the guy is blowing smoke up your ***. People say stupid **** to sell a vehice all the time. I found a lifted 1500 on craigslist that i was excited about when i went to look at it the guy started telling me all kinds of stuff almost like what your being told this truck had a "stage 2 cam and had been BORED over to a 408" needless to say it was a dirty 80k mile 5.3 with a flowmaster. you gota watch people because we may know better but theres alot of people who dont and thats what it sounds like this guy thinks you are. just my two cents.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:52 AM
TECH Addict

here is the info ive been given so far.
I have a 2001 Z06 with 48,000 miles. Black, with all black interior. Car is in awesome condition. Very clean interior. The car was procharged for one month, but it was too much power and the blower was removed. It runs and drives fine, but still has the tune for the blower so it needs to be retuned. I will sell it the way it is for this weekend only for $18.9 But monday I have an appointment to have it dyno tuned and the price will go up to $19.5 The car is built and will handle whatever you give it. I can NOT take trades. Im buying a new house and need the money for a down payment. Hence the only reason Im selling it. Heres a list of mods:
Window tint all around
C6 shifter
Custom Z06 floor mats
Power everything and dual climate control
Brand new BfGoodrich tires front and back
All exterior lights are now blacked out
Lowered on extended bolts
Engine:
Ls6
Fast 90mm Intake Manifold
Cold Air Intake
Headers, Off road X pipe, and Ti Exhaust
Viper spec transmission with Carbon shift forks
Forged 383 stroker kit
Stage one cam
Stage two clutch

reading the pcm will be a good starting point, i never would have thought of that even though i should. the borescope is also a good part to look at because if it has forged pistons, idk why it wouldnt have forged rods.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

yeah that sounds a little fishy. if he really wants to sell the car he needs to come up with a way to prove his claims. otherwise youre just taking his word for it. and you know how much that is worth these days.

Quick Reply: Any way of determining forged bottom end?