Sponsored by:

Going lean (choking) on throttle input

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 01:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going lean (choking) on throttle input

Guys

I got my swap car running last week and I'm going through trying to iron the issues out. When I stab the throttle the engine wants to stall itself. You can see in the video below exactly what I'm talking about

I'm using a 411 PCM with a 99-02 standalone (techrods) harness. The wiring is basically foolproof and I have stock injectors and just an LS6 cam.

I'm on a 2-bar SD on HPTuners and have disabled the MAF, VATS, changed the trans type over to a manual, disabled the EGR, etc

My fuel pressure is good. I've verified on the wideband its going lean when this behavior persists...I am assuming that since it starts/idles good that i either dont have something hooked up, or something configured right in the tune.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yGIqz6at7Q&feature=g-upl[/youtube]

I'm not sure if this is best in this category, the swap category, or the PCM and Tuning category because we've got quite a few variables at hand.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey man, I dont know if this in any help or not, as I know you said you've disabled to MAF, but I had exactly the same problem, to a lesser degree when I removed all of the AIR/EGR systems from my car. The problem was I initially neglected to cap the line going from the pump back to the intake, thus I had unmetered air going into the intake causing a lean condition. My car did the exact same thing where it would momentarily hesitate and then surge when you stabbed the gas. Once I found the leak and capped off the line, it ran perfectly. Just a thought, hope it helps.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:17 PM
On The Tree

I've got the big port on the back of the manifold routed to my brake booster with the check valve in place, the smaller port on the back of the manifold going to my MAP sensor, and the factory map port sealed off.

On the front pass side Ive got the one manifold port capped and on drivers side ive got that running to my FPR, so I dont think I have a vacuum leak
Old 06-08-2012, 03:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

cool, sounds like you've got all your bases covered as far as intake leaks go
Old 06-08-2012, 05:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do not disable the MAF.....go into the dtc section and disable the nil light and set it to report on first error....this will put you in speed density mode....if it sees no error it will think the "non signal" from the non existing MAF is correct.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:03 PM
On The Tree

I have P0101, P0102, and P0103 all set to "2-No MIL Light" and from everything I have read you need to set the MAF Fail High to "0HZ." Do you have an explanation why I shouldn't set it to 0hz? I'm not criticizing, just want to understand why!

Looking through some other stuff it looks like you're right, I need to set it to MIL on First Error....I wont be back to the car until Sunday evening to check it out
Old 06-09-2012, 05:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I never adjusted the fail Hz, just set it to report error on first...I'd have to jump back in Hptuners to get the exact wording since it has been a while since I've used it, but that is how I have mine set up.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:58 PM
On The Tree

Tonight I got a chance to play around with the tune and make those adjustments, didnt make any difference.

I tried setting the MAF Fail back to 13,000hz and setting P0101,P0102, and P0103 to MIL on First Error. I also changed the MAF back to 0hz and same settings on the MAF MIL's.

I did notice that the engine will not rev slowly either. If i slightly increase throttle, instead of blipping it, it still chokes itself.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:29 PM
On The Tree

Well, the engine saw 3500 rpm tonight, didnt feel the need to take it any higher. The issue is something in the tune.

A buddy sent me his 2-bar map tune for a 5.3 and I went through and copied a number of tables over and "winged" it. I'm going to start going over all of the changes I made, but before I do much more I'm going to get the cooling system in it so I can begin actually working on the tune.

Off the top of my head some of the things I modified were in the torque management and drivetrain abuse settings
Old 06-16-2012, 07:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

In the tune?? If so, maybe try the correct forum and you just might get more input...
Old 06-16-2012, 10:16 AM
On The Tree

I had no idea whether the issue was mechanical or tune related starting out, thus the reason for posting in here. I figure its smarter to cover your basics (fuel pressure, vacuum leaks, etc) before getting into the tune