Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My CraigsList Find - Ported 241 Flow #'s (Pic Heavy)

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 12:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My CraigsList Find - Ported 241 Flow #'s (Pic Heavy)

Picked up this pair of assembled 241's earlier last year via CraigsList, the guy that had them for sale had no info on the heads... only knew they were 241's. I ended up offering $500 cash since I had no idea what I'd be getting, figured I could sell the valvetrain and make most of my money back if the heads ended up being junk.

Finally got around to having them flowed by a gentleman in Asheboro, NC on a SuperFlow 600. I'm really pleased with the results given how much I have invested in them! They have 2.02/1.57 valves, I CC'd several chambers tonight myself and they all came up to right at 66cc's so it seems like whoever ported them took just enough off to clean up the gasket and that's it. I was hoping they'd been milled a bit to bump compression... they will be going on an LQ9.

From what I've seen of other flow #'s here on LS1Tech, it looks like they're capable of making decent power? Below are some various pics of the heads themselves. Also, could someone help me identify exactly which springs are on the heads? I'd initially thought they were the Comp Cam dual spring kit w/ titanium retainers/solid locks but the inner spring appears to be a different color from other pics I've found of them online. The guy who flowed the heads did say that it had Comp Cam shims.

Lastly, here are a couple of pics of a nick that my nearly 3 y/o son put on the head while trying to 'help' me CC the chambers. He grabbed a butter knife from the table and it hit the head directly, leaving a small score on the surface. It's deep enough for my finger nail to catch but is outside the combustion area, I'm hoping that it's nothing and that the gasket will cover it with no issues.

I have it narrowed down to between a couple of guys here on LS1Tech to custom spec a cam for me, I'm looking forward to getting this project completed!

One thing is that I'd purchased a Weiand intake from off Ebay for super cheap last year before buying these heads. I suppose that now that I've found that the heads actually flow decent... I'll be going with something that's proven to flow a bit better
Old 06-10-2012, 09:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DAM!!! Who ever did those heads did a good job. They look like quality work. Good find
Old 06-10-2012, 09:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, they can make good numbers. $500 for a good ported set of 241's is right in the middle of about the cost & a find. Very nice heads, BTW. I'd use 'em any time. Who drilled the ground straps of the plugs? That's an old time racer's trick used to ensure an efficient burn. I do that to mine as well.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

That's actually just a plug that I bought from Advance to CC the heads. It's a platinum tipped Denso that was on sale, pretty interesting that they'd come from the mfg. that way!
Old 06-10-2012, 09:46 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

That's some pretty damn good cfm for $500. The midlift #'s is what I like.

Were they flowed with a pipe? A pipe will inflate exhaust cfm some.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SupahRich
That's actually just a plug that I bought from Advance to CC the heads. It's a platinum tipped Denso that was on sale, pretty interesting that they'd come from the mfg. that way!

It is interesting. Looks like they've been paying attention. How much were they, on sale? Those 'll keep me from having to do it. It takes a keen eye & a steady hand; not to mention patience.

Sorry, a little off topic.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS1-450
It is interesting. Looks like they've been paying attention. How much were they, on sale? Those 'll keep me from having to do it. It takes a keen eye & a steady hand; not to mention patience.

Sorry, a little off topic.
They were $2.49 ea, seemed like a fair price for platinum tipped plugs!
Old 06-10-2012, 10:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Damian

They guy never mentioned a pipe so I can't confirm whether or not if he used one (JonCR96Z here on Tech) is the one who referred me to him so he may know if it's typical for him to use one.

I liked the midlift #'s as well, looking forward to having a cam spec'd to take advantage of that for some nice under the curve power!
Old 06-10-2012, 02:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking at the flow chart in post #1, the graph shows the test pressure was "28 H2O Test Pressure". 28" of water is only 1 PSI. Wondering if it's really 28" of mercury, which is closer to 1 atmospheric pressure and what an intake manifold would be at under WOT conditions on a NA engine.
Old 06-10-2012, 03:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice find.
Thanks for the pics. Come fall, I'm going to use the pics as a model, to help me finish my porting job.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thats a great find & deal. For that price I would run those heads but the problem is finding a deal like that is like a needle in a haystack.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

very nice, looks a little bit better than my port work... nice buy. If you look around hard enough you will find there are a few guys out there that do this kind of port work out of their home for $300-$400 bucks. funny part is the guy is often times the same guy that ports heads at a reputable shop that sell for $1,200

Last edited by 3rdCoastPowerSports; 06-11-2012 at 02:50 AM.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SupahRich
They were $2.49 ea, seemed like a fair price for platinum tipped plugs!
Thanks, am gonna give 'em a try on the next plug change & test 'em against NGK's.

Originally Posted by 3rdCoastPowerSports
very nice, looks a little bit better than my port work... nice buy. If you look around hard enough you will find there are a few guys out there that do this kind of port work out of their home for $300-$400 bucks. funny part is the guy is often times the same guy that ports heads at a reputable shop that sell for $1,200
Well explained. That's the scenario that I was eluding to when stating they were somewhere in the middle cost wise.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Can't wait to get the 6.0 buttoned up finally! Having a decent set of heads should really help out with the 'under the curve' motor that I want.

gMag - Good luck with the port job, if you want anymore pics, let me know and I can snap some more.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:46 PM
On The Tree

That is a very nice port job kudos to the man who did it very clean and smooth runners and chambers
Old 06-13-2012, 03:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm posting to this thread as I hate to clutter forums with a ton of new threads But now I'm looking for opinions as to how much I should have the heads shaved to compliment the LQ9? It'll be a regular 'ole street car 99% of the time. I'm thinking some where around 61-62cc? Not sure if the benefit will outweigh the risks involved with going down to 58-59? I'm thinking that I should go ahead and have the pistons flycut while it's sitting on the stand but I'm waiting to figure out what CC the heads will be before I fill out a cam spec sheet, I'm assuming at that time, the person I have spec the cam can advise if I need a cam that would need notched pistons to reach the goals that I want.

I suppose opinions on what gasket I should run would be appreciated, the LS9 gasket seems to be a popular one . Even with all of my reading here on Tech, SCR/DCR/Quench and all that mess still loses me... this will be my first major build on an F-body and hopefully a reliable one!
Old 06-14-2012, 05:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Damian

Clay radius on the intake and no pipe.

Quick Reply: My CraigsList Find - Ported 241 Flow #'s (Pic Heavy)