Sponsored by:

2006 Silverado--LS1 Swap--Few Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 06:07 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Silverado--LS1 Swap--Few Questions

Hey guys,

I have a 2006 RCSB Silverado that I plan on swapping an LS1 into. It currently has a 4.3L V6 with 138k miles on it. Nothing wrong with it, it just doesn't (IMO) have enough power to be in a full size truck.

Here's what I have planned so far.

Engine--(02 LS1)
-New rings-- Reuse stock pistons
-New bearings-- Rod & Main
-ARP Hardware-- Main studs, Rod bolts, and Head studs
-Thinner head gasket
-New cam-- GM Hot Cam or ASA Cam
-LS7 Lifters
-New Pushrods
-Refresh heads

Exhaust
-F-Body Manifolds--Possibly TSP Long Tubes(Haven't decided)
-Flowmaster Y-pipe--2.5" in/3" out
-Magnaflow Spun Cats
-Flowmaster 10-Series--Side exit in front of passenger tire

Transmission
-Option 1
--Pull the Performabuilt Lv2 from my Camaro and replace with a TH-350/Powerglide

-Option 2
--Stock 4L80 w/shift kit

Ok, now for the stuff I have questions about.

-Would there be any problem with doing a light hone and re-using the stock pistons?

-Which transmission option would you guys suggest? Either way, I'll end up buying another trans/converter.

-Which do you guys think would be cheaper? Buying a new converter, or having my Yank SS4000 redone? I want to go with a 3000-3600 stall. Not sure which yet. Will have to get a new one or re-stall the old one if I put the Performabuilt Lv2 in the truck. SS4000 would be too much.

---------------------------------

I have no performance/power goals for this swap. The truck is my daily. It will rarely (if ever) see the track. I just want it to be fun to drive and sound good.

If any of you guys have any suggestions, feel free to comment.

Thanks for reading!

Derek
Old 06-23-2012, 07:04 AM
On The Tree

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I think you will be okay with a light hone. I would go with the 4L80 and a shift kit. The 4L80 is built to behind a truck (heavy) and for towing. Don't know how much these converters are. So I can't really comment, but I would assume that getting it re-stalled would be cheaper.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:20 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unless you already have the ls1 go with something else,i would go with any 6.0 over the ls1, not bashing the ls1 just these days there are better options that are not going to break the bank
Old 06-23-2012, 07:42 AM
On The Tree

--ZNix--
Well, my truck weighs just a tad over 4000lbs. It's a regular cab short box. It's pretty much the bare bones minimum optioned truck you could buy in 2006. Manual windows, manual locks, vinyl floor... hell, it doesn't even have the jump seat that folds down into an arm rest. So, it's not a heavy truck.

I don't do any towing with it. I've pulled a 3500lb trailer with it once. That was a 2400 mile trip from Mississippi to California. Never missed a beat, so I'm trying to justify swapping to a 4L80. I've never had a problem with a 4L60.

The one I have is built to handle 700rwhp and is currently behind a H/C/I LQ4 that destroys Moser's 12mm wheel studs(Broke 2 sets so far), and never misses a beat. I'm wanting to go with a lighter transmission in my Camaro, so I'm thinkink I might be able to kill 2 birds with one stone by putting the 4L60 in the truck.

--BOBS99SS--
I already have the LS1. Hell, it runs. It just smokes a bit due to a bad valve seal. After reading a bit, I've thought about doing a compression test on it to see if it even needs a rebuild. It's got 150k miles on it. Think it would be ok?

Last edited by 98SSClone; 06-23-2012 at 09:08 PM.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:54 PM
On The Tree

I also thought about maybe parting out my Camaro and using the engine/trans/rear axle in my truck...

If I done that, I could use a few of the parts from the car... Like headers, possibly y-pipe, cutout, and the rear wheels. Just have to send my front hubs/brake rotors to Moser and have em redrilled for the 5 lug bolt pattern then I could use my front wheels...

So many decisions to try and make...

Quick Reply: 2006 Silverado--LS1 Swap--Few Questions