Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone using the cam bolt lock plate?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 11:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Anyone using the cam bolt lock plate?

I'm still worried about these bolts coming lose. Thinking of this: http://www.thunderracing.com/shop-by...Bolts_984.html

Or buying the bolts with holes in the heads to safety wire.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:51 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems like some loctite would do the same..
Old 06-24-2012, 11:59 AM
TECH Addict

I agree loctite is effective, but not an even comparison to physical retention by .032 wire or lock plate
Old 06-24-2012, 12:06 PM
Staging Lane

true as that is if the loctite is effective and it is then why waste money?
Its your call obviously and it sounds like you want to try it out so go ahead and report back to the rest of us.. its only $8.. not like your dropping big dollars..LOL
Old 06-24-2012, 12:22 PM
TECH Addict

I did some searches and people have had them loosen up even with loctite. Just a little concerned
Old 06-24-2012, 06:21 PM
On The Tree

if your worried about it i would get the lock plate and loctite the bolts as well its 10 bucks and in my opinion thats well worth the money for a little added safety
Old 09-16-2012, 11:57 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Safety wire is not used to keep a bolt tight. It's to retain the bolt head if it breaks off. It also offers a visual indication during inspection if a fastener has backed out. There is zero strength or backout prevention added to a fastener by safety wire.

Red Locktite on clean dry threads should offer all the hold needed. If you've used red Locktite and the bolt loosened up, the threads were contaminated with oil or something else.

Obtain and memorize this book. RIP Carrol Smith!

Last edited by Paul Bell; 09-16-2012 at 12:21 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 12:18 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
Safety wire is not used to keep a bolt tight. It's to retain the bolt head if it breaks off. It also offers a visual indication during inspection if a fastener has backed out. There is zero strength added to a fastener by safety wire.

Red Locktite on clean dry threads should offer all the hold needed. If you've used red Locktite and the bolt loosened up, the threads were contaminated with oil or something else.

Obtain and memorize this book. RIP Carrol Smith!
Eh...In their opinion...Thats not why we safety wire bolts, we safety wire to keep them from backing out. Which is why the direction of the wire matters.
Old 09-16-2012, 12:38 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Safety wire was developed and first used for military navel and aeronautical applications. It certainly adds nothing to the strength of how a bolt was torqued or retains it's torque. Safety wire prevents a broken fastener from causing more damage such as it being drawn into a jet engine compressor or jamming up a landing gear.

Stainless steel safety wire is a soft low strength wire.

If you think safety wire adds to the clamping/torque level of a fastener, you are mistaken.

Safety wire is threaded through bolt heads in a tightening pattern because if any bolt loosened up even slightly, the wire would snap. Threading the wire in any other way would not cause the wire to snap making it less likely to be noticed upon inspection.

http://www.eng-tips.com/faqs.cfm?fid=1549
Old 09-16-2012, 04:38 PM
Launching!

They backed out on my h/c ls1. So I got the comp lock plate for my 416. It cost me a cam, lifters and a shortblock on my first build
Old 09-16-2012, 05:14 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
Safety wire was developed and first used for military navel and aeronautical applications. It certainly adds nothing to the strength of how a bolt was torqued or retains it's torque. Safety wire prevents a broken fastener from causing more damage such as it being drawn into a jet engine compressor or jamming up a landing gear.

Stainless steel safety wire is a soft low strength wire.

If you think safety wire adds to the clamping/torque level of a fastener, you are mistaken.

Safety wire is threaded through bolt heads in a tightening pattern because if any bolt loosened up even slightly, the wire would snap. Threading the wire in any other way would not cause the wire to snap making it less likely to be noticed upon inspection.

http://www.eng-tips.com/faqs.cfm?fid=1549

Ok sure...Its not like I'm the one here with 15 yrs of aircraft maintenance experience....

I didnt say it adds strength...It keeps the bolt from backing out due to vibration. We safety wire a heck of lot more fasteners on the airframe not associated with engines. It would take alot of force to snap twisted .032" wire. We use steel. Not SS. I'm sure everyone has their own theories on the subject...
Old 09-16-2012, 05:32 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Safety wire of any type will not prevent any bolt from backing out. It's silly and foolish to think it can.

Look at it this way: Can you use safety wire to tighten a bolt to it's pre-load rating? Of course not.

If a bolt is gonna back out from a fixture, be assured that safety wire will not stop it from turning.

This is not theory. This is studied and documented engineering facts.

Incidentally, I was building certified nuclear submarine rated motors and drives in The Navy when Ronald Regan was in office.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:35 PM
Banned

I'm with Paul on the safety wire issue - we only use it to contain the fastener in place, the safety wire will do absolutely nothing to prevent a loss of clamp load, it's only there to keep the fastener in place should it back off. If you lose clamp load on your cam bolts, they're not going to just rotate all the way back out, the high frequency changes in rotational torque are going to shear them once the gear has been allowed to move. Additional FYI is that the dowel pin does absolutely nothing once the cam bolts have been tightened, it's simply there for assembly location.

As for the lock plates, I only use them to hold thrust buttons or cam degree bushings in place, I've never had a cam bolt come lose when using red locktite and torquing properly.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:41 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by machinistone
....the dowel pin does absolutely nothing once the cam bolts have been tightened, it's simply there for assembly location.
I never thought of this but it does make sense. Thanks for the info!
Old 09-16-2012, 07:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put it in my motor a few months ago, the Comp Cam lock plate, bolt package when I replaced oil pump, timing chain for a Comp Cams double roller chain. It seems to be holding GOOD, won't hurt.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never had a problem with them backing out either, but for less than $10 I'd say its cheap insurance. If it were in the $20-25 or higher range, it'd make me think twice.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Get it.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I tend to think most applications where Loctite was used and the bolts backed out were not installed correctly. You always need to clean the bolt and the female threads in the block for Loctite to be effective. When these bolts are removed, the threads in the block are usually covered with oil.

Quick Reply: Anyone using the cam bolt lock plate?