http://www.coatesengine.com/

Any body seen these, what do you think?
Old 04-01-2004, 12:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats pretty interesting
its like a different way of using old Wankel's rotary
too bad it looks like it wouldn't last for ****
I just dont think many people would give up the typical OHC/OHV designs anytime soon for this
Old 04-01-2004, 12:44 AM
On The Tree

I saw that a while ago. To bad they have plans to make any for LT and LS engines, not to mention that it would be very costly. I think that people would choose this over a OHC/OHV if it were readily available and cost was not to high. Think about it, it is very efficient, not to mention the RPMs you could turn.
Old 04-01-2004, 01:36 AM
WOT
TECH Apprentice

i read about him back in 99 in PHR i think. he said that he took a stock 302 and spun it up to like 13000 rpms before it gave way. some of the smaller engines have literally doubled their horse power. this was all during initial trials. i dont know if this is still true but back then he wanted over ten grand for a set of heads. it would be cool tho if prices were reasonable and a cutom head was made for our cars. we need a new sponsor j/k
Old 04-01-2004, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by WOT
i read about him back in 99 in PHR i think. he said that he took a stock 302 and spun it up to like 13000 rpms before it gave way. some of the smaller engines have literally doubled their horse power. this was all during initial trials. i dont know if this is still true but back then he wanted over ten grand for a set of heads. it would be cool tho if prices were reasonable and a cutom head was made for our cars. we need a new sponsor j/k

Thats when I seen it. In PHR. The Mustang would spin 18,000 RPM and was fine. Its a damn good idea, but way to expensive. The last I checked, the whole conversion kit would run ~$15k. I heard that they are doing deasel (sp?) enging stufff right now. A head for Harleys was next.
Old 04-01-2004, 05:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

"The Coates Spherical Rotary Valve Engine is the most advanced in the world, with the most positive valving system ever built. The breathing capabilities of the system are almost double that of a poppet valve. For instance: a static test of a five-litre poppet valve engine on an airflow machine produced a reading of 133 cubic feet per minute (CFM) with valve fully opened. The five-litre Coates Spherical Rotary Valve Engine on the same machine, however, produced a reading of 319 CFMs fully opened; a colossal advantage in airflow comparison. A five-litre poppet vavle engine tested on a dynomometer under the same loads and conditions at 5500 produced 480 BHP and 454 foot pounds of torque. The maximum RPMs on the poppet valve engine were 5700 RPMs; the Spherical Rotary Valve Engine in comparison reached 14,850 RPM's, The Coates Spherical Rotary Valve comprises two spherical rotary valves assembled on two separate shafts - one for inlet and one for exhaust. They rotate on ceramic carbon bearing with no oil lubrication, the spheres do not make contact with any part of the housing. The seals are a floating type and are also made of a ceramic material. They have two piston rings and are floating in a small cylinder-type chamber, they are activated by the compression and the combustion strokes of the engine which allows 100 percent sealing effectiveness, when compressed."