Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

spark plugs for 11.528 compression

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 11:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default spark plugs for 11.528 compression

should i stick with tr 55s? or do i have to go another step up or below for a 11.528 compression motor?
Old 06-25-2012, 11:51 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd likely go ahead and go with a 6 heat range for 11.5:1 static compression NA.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 06-25-2012, 11:52 AM
TECH Addict

I run and recomend the plain old Autolite 103 plug
Old 06-25-2012, 12:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would run a TR6. That is what I run in my car and the compression is right about the same.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:26 PM
Staging Lane

its not the compression its how much hp your making
Old 06-25-2012, 12:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanks guys! looks like im going to be getting a set of tr6!
Old 06-25-2012, 02:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Ellesone
Compression ratio certainly is a factor in choosing a proper spark plug.
Its not exactly the HP you're making either, its the heat generated inside the combusion chamber. Compression, power, timing, tuning, boost (if applicable), etc, can all play a roll for which heat range spark plug bests suits the engine application.

OP if you're wanting NGK plugs, with that amount of static compression the TR6 plug is likely an ideal choice for N/A.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:33 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

The V6 F-bodies from 95-2002 used a TR55 for a factory replacement plug....as do the stock LS1/LS6's....why would that be if it was about HP not compression?

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
Old 06-26-2012, 08:04 AM
Staging Lane

its the HP being made and the heat it creates.. compression is part of it yes.. try making power without it.. heat is the side effect from the power being made ... the colder plug disipates the heat faster so the new mixture coming in isnt ignitted..

Thats not compression by itself causing the heat is it?
No thats HP being made that is causing the heat... they both work together
But you dont just look at compression and say I need to run this plug because I have a hi compression engine... any tuner or builder I have ever known determined plug type by the amount of power expected to be made....

If I had a 650 rwhp car on 10.87:1 then I should be running a tr55 according to TSP's way of determing plug type.. But since the heat is generated by the HP being made... the TR55 would be a risk..... the Tr7 is where it would want to be and that is from HP not compression

the amount of heat generated is related to the amount of HP being made... HP being made is related to compression but certainly not soley but the heat is soley from combustion.. well and friction of metal but for this argument the heat is from the combustion which is HP being made in the chamber

more HP means more heat.. but does more compression mean more heat soley by itself?

Whats the general rule thats states you should drop a heat range for every 100-125 hp gained for ???
yes compression plays a part in hp being made but is not the reason you drop heat ranges

For the OP.. how much power are you going to make? General rule is one heat range per every 100-125 hp over stock
Thats been around for ever.. you can see it stated about 1000 times in here
Old 06-26-2012, 08:59 AM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

more HP means more heat.. but does more compression mean more heat soley by itself?
To answer this question, Yes. Increased compression solely by itself increases heat. The more any given amount of air is compressed, the more heat it generates. That's a simple fact.

Your 2nd post is so much more descriptive then your 1st "its not the compression its how much hp your making", which pretty much states compression is not in the equation and it's such a "loose" statement. Increased compression alone generates more heat which creates more power. A 650 rwhp N/A car is going to need a lot of compression, so the two work hand in hand. You can't have one without the other.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:31 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

There are plenty of C6 Z06 guys out there running TR55's and TR6's at and over 600rwhp NA as well.

The one range cooler per 100-125hp gain rule is very common.....in the forced induction sections!!

Old 06-26-2012, 09:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

im going to be around 500rwhp.. and then be spraying it with a 125 shot on top of that in the near future
Old 06-26-2012, 10:14 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by SStressin
im going to be around 500rwhp.. and then be spraying it with a 125 shot on top of that in the near future
6 while NA, 7 on the spray.

Old 06-27-2012, 06:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Another pissing contest. Would be nice to enter a thread that hadn't turned into one.

OP. I use TR5's (TR55 w/ reduced gap) on 11.9:1 compression & 6700 RPM max & 26* timing, 180*-190*F block temps & 93 Octane @ WOT w/ no miss (no timing reduction due to engine knock). Engine makes 523 HP @ crank under the right atmospheric conditions. Testing a TR6 did not result in being able to run more timing (on my engine). That's the bottom line (max timing @ WOT without a miss). Only way to know for sure is to use tuning software to measure what's happening within your engine. All we can do here is to give a general rule of thumb.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS1-450
Another pissing contest. Would be nice to enter a thread that hadn't turned into one.

OP. I use TR5's (TR55 w/ reduced gap) on 11.9:1 compression & 6700 RPM max & 26* timing, 180*-190*F block temps & 93 Octane @ WOT w/ no miss (no timing reduction due to engine knock). Engine makes 523 HP @ crank under the right atmospheric conditions. Testing a TR6 did not result in being able to run more timing (on my engine). That's the bottom line (max timing @ WOT without a miss). Only way to know for sure is to use tuning software to measure what's happening within your engine. All we can do here is to give a general rule of thumb.

alright thanks for the info...when my setup was getting tuned before it was 11.48 and it kept fowling out plugs and missing on the dyno at times.. i wasnt area my compression was that high bc the chambers on my heads were 62 and i was told by previous owner there 65.. so know i see why it wasmissing and messing up the plugs

Quick Reply: spark plugs for 11.528 compression