Go Back   LS1TECH > LS1-LS2-LS3-LS6-LS7 PERFORMANCE > Generation III Internal Engine
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register iTraderTimeslips Photos Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Used CarsVendor Directory
Search

Generation III Internal Engine
1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by
Texas Speed & Performance

Welcome to LS1Tech.com!
Welcome to LS1Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join LS1Tech.com today!

Old 07-03-2012, 07:47 PM   #1
Teching In
2001 Pontiac Trans Am

Trader Rating: 0
Default ls1 lifter noise

i have a 2001 pontiac trans am m6 i just recently did a ms3 cam swap in my car and also did luntai dual valve springs with seats, retainers, locks, seals, locators and tsp hardened 7.4" pushrods, ls7 lifters, a melling high volume oil pump and a ls2 strengthened timing chain. about a week after i did this it started making a really bad ticking noise sounded like a lifter and a teacher at my school (uti) said i had a collapsed lifter so i replaced them again and its still making the noise. ive checked the lifter pre load multiple times, checked the cam bolts to make sure they werent backing out, ive checked my header bolts multiple times and none of it fixed the problem. friday night i pulled the valve covers back off to check the rocker arm geometry and when the rockers where off i went ahead and pushed on the pushrods to see if the lifters would plunge and both the lifters on cylinder 7 would plunge. im not sure if this is from them bleeding down too fast or not getting adequate oil to them. any help is greatly appriceated since i have been going at this for about 3 weeks now and havent figured out whats wrong.
thanks, collin
ws6_34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:12 PM   #2
Technical Facepalm
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 2

How much lifter preload are you running, and how did you measure it?
"The Dunning-Kruger effect describes a cognitive bias in which people perform poorly on a task, but lack the meta-cognitive capacity to properly evaluate their performance. As a result, such people remain unaware of their incompetence and accordingly fail to take any self-improvement measures that might rid them of their incompetence."
crainholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:22 PM   #3
Launching!
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 1

noramlly valvetrain noise is from not having the correct pushrod length from what i have been reading
SStressin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 04:07 AM   #4
TECH Junkie
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 31

If the valve wipe pattern is good, there is no problem. Lifter noise (sounds like a sewing machine) is common. The more you load the rockers, the more noise you're gonna get. I believe that it's the heavily loaded needle bearings in the rockers. Others will claim that it's the dual springs. Personally, I've never heard a spring make a noise from compressing & unloading. It's the higher spring force from the dual springs applied to the needle bearings in the rockers that makes the sound, IMO.

#7 is last to get oil & first to drain. Don't worry about being able to push the pushrod into the lifters there. Again, if the valve wipe pattern is good, there is not issue.

How many Mustangs does it take to screw in a light bulb?

...Thanks LS1Tech; the best tech site on the Planet...
LS1-450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:05 AM   #5
Teching In
2001 Pontiac Trans Am

i have 1/2 a turn of pre load after zero lash to 22 ft lbs and ive been told that is in the range of what you want to have. ive also checked to see if one of the trunions where just taking a crap on me from this high lift cam and spring pressure but they hardly had any side to side movement when bolted down and also didnt feel like they had a bind in them when i checked them with them off the car. and will cylinder 7 lifters bleed down 30 mins after the car has been off? i didnt know they would bleed off that fast
Old 07-04-2012, 10:08 AM   #6
Teching In
2001 Pontiac Trans Am

ohhh and also this isnt the normal ls sewing machine noise the valvetrain makes. this is more of a tapping noise that increases frequency with rpm
Old 07-04-2012, 10:24 AM   #7
TECH Addict
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via ICQ to Darkman

That preload is only 0.024" (uncorrected) or 0.0133" (corrected) which is quite small. I think the minimum acceptable preload is larger.

See:
Lifter pre-load?
Darkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:41 AM   #8
Teching In
2001 Pontiac Trans Am

how did you figure out .024"?
Old 07-04-2012, 10:50 AM   #9
Teching In
2001 Pontiac Trans Am

ohh well i called texas speed and they said with the ms3 cam and 7.4" pushrods u want from 1/2 turn to 3/4 of a turn after zero lash.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:51 AM   #10
TECH Addict
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via ICQ to Darkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ws6_34 View Post
The method that specifies preload based on the number of turns (aka Shane's method) assumes 0.047" to 0.049' of preload for each turn, which is 0.024" of 1/2 turn. This "flat-rate per turn assumption" is a little off, but usable within the applicable range. (Corrected numbers are contained in the other thread I referenced.)
Darkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:53 AM   #11
TECH Fanatic
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ws6_34 View Post
Read Darkman's attached link.
98 Z28...799 Heads, LS6 Intake, 5308 Cam, Linginfelter Oil Pump, LS7 Lifters, LS2 Timing Chain, SLP Lid and Red FRC's. this is my Z06. RevMax 2800 Stall, Hyperflex Suspension Bushings and Motor Mounts, Drilled and Slotted Rotors.

2008 Corvette CRM 3LT.
LS1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:53 PM   #12
TECH Resident
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 5

The amount of preload you need is not determined by your cam or pushrods...it is the lifters. 1/2 to 3/4 seems pretty light to me, that is what is used on short travel lifters.
therabidweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:14 PM   #13
Teching In
2001 Pontiac Trans Am

ok well i just replaced the oil pump o ring and i drove it for 20 mins and it never made the noise. and thats just what texas speed said it should be within 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn
Old 07-04-2012, 06:14 PM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird

Paid Advertisement

Tags
bad, cam, engine, lifter, lifters, ls1, ls1tech, ls7, making, ms3, noise, noisy, rocker, tic, trans