Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help with oil pump o ring!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 08:32 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with oil pump o ring!

Alright guys, I'm in the middle of my lq4 swap in my 04 gto and I installed a new ported pump from TSP and I got a black, green, and red o rings in my felpro kit and of coarse the factory one is blue.

When I first opened the box all I saw was the red on in a pack with a few other seals so I was kinda relieved that there was only one. So I installed the red one and seemed kinda tight but the tube didn't kick side ways and I pulled it back out to make sure it didn't get cut or pinched then reinstalled it. After I got the oil pan and everything installed I was looking one the box for another gasket and found the black and green o rings.

So did I mess up and need to swap the black or green one backout beforeI drop the motor in the car?
Old 07-04-2012, 08:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Measure your old one if possible. I believe there was a slight difference between some of the orings. I used black for mine.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:13 AM
Launching!

There is a difference in them, that's why I'm trying to find out.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Use the closet one to stock size or go buy a stock size one napa probably has em
Old 07-04-2012, 01:34 PM
10 Second Club

I've only used blue but I don'k know if the LQ4 is a different one than the LS1. GM has the blue ones for like $8-$12 in the parts dept.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:37 PM
On The Tree

I assume the motor is out of the car?? the end of the tube also determines what ring your going to use.. if there is a "necked" down section on the tube you want to use the Red or Green o-ring.. My CTS-V tube was smooth no neck so I could have gotten away with the blue ring but I said to hell with it and wrestled the fat green one in there..

Best way IMO to make sure the seal doesn't pinch is to back the tube out 1/8th inch after tightening it down and shining a light into the area to make sure its square in the pump and no halfway hanging out. In my situation I saw the green seal tightly and evenly pushed into the oil pump.. I then tightened the pickup back down and viola! after 140k It still cranks out 60psi while cruising..

A lot of folks are terrified of pinching the seal and I can see why! Just lube the ring and pump like your going to Btt Fck it and gentle twists and POP! it will go in..

Good luck to you!

Quick Reply: need help with oil pump o ring!