Sponsored by:

need help with gremlin

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 05:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with gremlin

NOOB here... well kind of.
havent been on any LSx forums in years. was on ls2 several years ago and know i had account here but been too long so had to set up a new one. ive done several searches on here trying to find a lead to my problem but no luck.

car has 92k miles, all internal motor is stock just bolt ons... lid, ported TB, full exhaust, 3000 stall, 3.42 gears, most suspension done.

started having a bad vibration everal months after installing gears. prior to that was also putting in stall. gears also started grinding, so tore it apart, changed all gears and bearings and no vibration... until the next day. pretty sure the junky 4l60e is taking a crap along with the POS stall i got from TCI. pretty sure that will fix that problem. just havent gotten around to unbolting converter to motor to see...

in the mean time ive been getting a low RPM popping out of my exhaust, give it gas and it clears. not trowing any codes, the hotter the engine gets the worse the studder and popping gets. not getting any lifter tic, oil pressure is good, runs great except for idle-2000 rpm. (other than vibration, but again about 90% pos its transmission) any thoughts about this. again, havent been over to the shop to start testing, but kind of throwing me for a loop.

any and all replies are appreciated!
Old 07-05-2012, 08:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man I was really hoping you were talking AMC Gremlin.

I would check plugs and wires first.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:43 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by therabidweasel
Man I was really hoping you were talking AMC Gremlin.

I would check plugs and wires first.
i will when i get the chance, but you would think it would through a missfire code. watching the datastream on our scanner, shows no missfires at all... thats what it feels like though with the backfire. plugs and wires were changed about 6k miles ago... should be fine...

Last edited by 35thPewterZ; 07-06-2012 at 09:02 AM.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 35thPewterZ
any and all replies are appreciated!
This is the Internal Engine Forum, have somebody explain to you what that means.

You're welcome.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by crainholio
This is the Internal Engine Forum, have somebody explain to you what that means.

You're welcome.
i have a pretty good idea what internal engine is... been a mechanic for over 13 years... just trying to get a few more ideas before i go ripping the heads off... just havent had the time to do anything just yet. was hoping someone else had a similar problem and could help.

if this isnt internal engine then what is it? it acts like a misfire and have popping out the exhaust... so should i post this in the exhaust (external engine) forum? please enlighten me...
Old 07-07-2012, 11:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

its running lean at low rpm speeds due to the bolt-ons you added making air more abundant but not adding more fuel.

get a tune....

and your vibration is it while moving or idle? if your moving have you checked your drive shaft balencer? i bet its dry-rotted
Old 07-08-2012, 07:48 AM
TECH Addict

if this isnt internal engine then what is it? it acts like a misfire and have popping out the exhaust... so should i post this in the exhaust (external engine) forum? please enlighten me...
By your logic, nearly every engine problem would be "internal engine" wouldn't it?

Try PCM Diagnostics & Tuning:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagnostics-tuning-7/
Old 07-08-2012, 08:49 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bwkmaro
its running lean at low rpm speeds due to the bolt-ons you added making air more abundant but not adding more fuel.

get a tune....

and your vibration is it while moving or idle? if your moving have you checked your drive shaft balencer? i bet its dry-rotted
car has been tuned when full exhaust was put on, after gears, and after stall... was running great for about 2000 miles or so then got the vibration and shortly after the rear end growling... fixed rear end and vibration persisted. another 1-2k miles later engine started acting up. thought about needing the PCM/tune looked at but cant get a hold of the guy.

ive also always had a lot of valvetrain noise in high rpms when playing too hard for too long. so thought my engine problem might be valvetrain related.

but yes vibration is driving or sitting still in park. hopefully next weekend or so ill be able to unbolt the converter and see if it stops. the driveshaft was in another car ran fine, vibration started before i put "new" driveshaft in. thought that as well...

as much as ive read on these stalls, im sure thats what it is... and get a loud clanking noise sometimes when going from a 2-1 downshift like the trans has a lot of play in it... looking to replace tranny and stall hopefully sooner that later.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:10 AM
Teching In

By your logic, nearly every engine problem would be "internal engine" wouldn't it?
[/URL]
guess so

started here cause i was thinking valvetrain... a simple "have you had your tune checked?" wouldve been better than your responses...

im sure if i woldve posted this in the tuning section im sure someone would have told me to go somewhere else...

people like you are why i dont miss these forums. and why new users dont stick around long. when asking for ideas or help, they get shitty responses...
Old 07-08-2012, 11:22 AM
TECH Addict

people like you are why i dont miss these forums. and why new users dont stick around long. when asking for ideas or help, they get shitty responses...
People like you who post in the wrong areas and get butt-hurt when it's pointed out are why knowledgeable users don't stick around. Get over it or bolt.

In the meantime, whip out your scantool and read the following at idle and while cruising when the problem happens:

1.) LTFT percentages for both banks
2.) Knock retard
3.) Spark advance

Post your findings in the PCM Diag forum and you'll get useful replies.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

well when your beating on it for to long everything is just getting heat soaked and thats pretty normal not much to worry about there.

well get on putting a converter in cause if the tranny isnt bad it will be if the converter take a ****. i just got one from edge racing and it cost me 550 to my door and works great.

my converters clutch pack blew and almost took my tranny with it. lucky i can rebuild my own other wise i would have been eating another 2k instead of just the converter
Old 07-08-2012, 12:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Try PCM Diagnostics & Tuning:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagnostics-tuning-7/
Congrats on setting this guy straight. Who knows what he would of done without your guidance.

And so funny too! You sir are very creative.