Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken valve spring...what to expect?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 01:04 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Broken valve spring...what to expect?

We finally started tearing apart the motor in my 01 SS tonight. The car previously had a lot of blow by and was running and smoking really bad. We removed the valve covers and found that one of the valve springs (cylinder 6) is broken at the top. The seat is still in place and it doesnt look like the valve fell in but im guessing the valve might of hit the piston and caused damage.

The spring is a goldish color and has a blue stripe down the side but im not too sure what brand they are they are just single springs. Do you guys think the heads are going to be damaged. I have a new ls1 short block thats going in but my worry right now is damage to the heads/cam. What might i expect monday morning when we pull the heads off? Also could this be why the car was puking so much oil out?

Name:  brokenspring.jpg
Views: 18374
Size:  77.5 KB
Old 07-15-2012, 01:26 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pull the head and take a look
Old 07-15-2012, 01:27 AM
11 Second Club

I doubt the heads are damaged. What you are going to see, is a small eye brow looking indention on the top of the piston and the valve is going to be really clean/machine looking on the outside. It more than likely did no serious damage to the head, but may or may not have bent the valve a little bit. If the valve is straight I would just replace the valve spring you should be just fine.
I know from personal experience on a recent repair I had on a 2008 express 2500 van with a 4.8l.. A valve spring broke and slightly touched the piston top but it didn't bend the valve, put it back together with new valve springs and it ran great.

Thanks,
Craig
Old 07-15-2012, 01:43 AM
10 Second Club

I bet it has bent a valve other then that the heads should be fine but change a the springs if one bends the others ain't far behind
Old 07-15-2012, 02:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

From what I can see, damage should be light. As mentioned above pull the head and have them checked for bent valve or guide wear. How many miles on the combo before it broke?
Old 07-15-2012, 02:13 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

You can usually determine a bent valve by doing a leak down test on that cylinder.

If it will pass a leak down test you're probably good to throw another spring on it and keep rolling. Usually it's standard procedure for me to pull the heads for a spring break but the damage doesn't look too bad on yours. If it were mine and it didn't leak air out of the valve I'd run it.

And if you want to keep the lightweight benefit of a beehive valve spring without the worry of breakage, do yourself a favor and buy a set of PSI 1511ML springs. Best beehive on the market and they do NOT break.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:09 AM
TECH Regular

The setup i would say has about 20k miles...the car had about 90k miles when it was installed and is now at 111k. The engine wasnt making any noises like knocking or ticking when it ran last...just your typical sewing machine valve train noise the ls motors make. Of course it had blow by and was smoking alot and had no power. We also found a broken spark plug on cylinder 8. The cam is an ms3 i believe from what i was told. Im looking at a set of dual valve springs to upgrade the current springs. Thanks for the info guys Im hoping for the best...the heads will go to the machine shop tuesday hopefully and then we will start assembling the new motor so hopefully the cars running again here in about 2 weeks.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:10 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Damian
You can usually determine a bent valve by doing a leak down test on that cylinder.

If it will pass a leak down test you're probably good to throw another spring on it and keep rolling. Usually it's standard procedure for me to pull the heads for a spring break but the damage doesn't look too bad on yours. If it were mine and it didn't leak air out of the valve I'd run it.

And if you want to keep the lightweight benefit of a beehive valve spring without the worry of breakage, do yourself a favor and buy a set of PSI 1511ML springs. Best beehive on the market and they do NOT break.
Are those springs better or as good as the dual valve springs damian?
Old 07-15-2012, 07:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I will second the PSI 1511ML spring recommendation. You need to check lift and seat requirements on the spring (as with any spring) but these are excellent springs.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:11 AM
Restricted User

I have seen at least a dozen LSX engines with broken valve springs with no damage to the valve or piston. If you have a bore scope you can look through the spark plug plug hole and see if the valve has hit the piston.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:51 AM
LSX Mechanic

Originally Posted by camaro981289
Are those springs better or as good as the dual valve springs damian?
Better in lots of ways. Not necessarily "stronger", but most street car setups don't need crazy seat / open pressure.

Better as in better harmonics @ high rpm, light weight, cheap (relatively speaking for what they offer), and they will work with stock locking / retaining hardware.

Anything I build anymore that's below .640 lift gets PSI's. I haven't used another valve spring in almost 2 years.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:10 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Damian

Where and how much might one find these? I looked on psi website but doesnt give prices.
Old 07-15-2012, 02:21 PM
LSX Mechanic

Originally Posted by tjwashow
Where and how much might one find these? I looked on psi website but doesnt give prices.
They don't sell to the public...

http://www.cvproducts.com/Products/PSILS1511ML.aspx

Quick Reply: Broken valve spring...what to expect?