Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can i reuse a a gm ls1 mls headgasket? no start

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 03:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can i reuse a a gm ls1 mls headgasket? no start

I went to put some 243 heads on my ls1. i bought gm bolts and mls head gaskets. We went to bolting the heads down and tightened them in sequence and in three passes. Well, long story short we snapped one bolt. Good news got that one bolt out of the block with zero effort. Well, i ended up buying arp head bolts. Now the big question, can i reuse my mls gm head gaskets? let me know asap so i can get this car on the road thanks.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since it is a new gasket and it was never put into use. You can probably re-use it with no ill effects.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was going to spray it with the copper gasket spray also. but i heard there are like small crush sleeves and i didnt know if i could be reusable.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:48 PM
TECH Resident

I think that since it never went into use that you might be ok with it. However I would welcome the opinion of some of the more experienced folks on here. I don't like buying overpriced gaskets for these motors unless it is necessary.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No.

Weather it has been run or not makes no differencr in these things. Once they are compressed the gaskets are done, they are single use. Get another gasket or you will damage your motor.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:06 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Gunslinger09
No.

Weather it has been run or not makes no differencr in these things. Once they are compressed the gaskets are done, they are single use. Get another gasket or you will damage your motor.
There ya go. It's a crush gasket so no go on reusing it. Sucks but it's a small cost for piece of mind.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:38 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Never started....run it, no problems!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 07-19-2012, 04:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
Never started....run it, no problems!
So you think i will have zero problems?
Old 07-19-2012, 04:55 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Simply compressing the gasket will not cause any problems. I'd run it without giving it a second thought! people do so on GM and Cometic MLS gaskets WITH run time on them all the time and you rarely hear of a negative outcome.

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
Old 07-19-2012, 04:58 PM
TECH Resident

With a positive endorsement from TSP I would run with it. They are my go to guys for pretty much all of my car needs so I trust them with my engine.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:02 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by Decadence75
With a positive endorsement from TSP I would run with it. They are my go to guys for pretty much all of my car needs so I trust them with my engine.
I'm not saying you are wrong, just stating my opinion based on my experience. I'll re-use a good shape exhaust manifold gasket (GM MLS) as well, while many would absolutely never do so.

Old 07-19-2012, 05:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
I'm not saying you are wrong, just stating my opinion based on my experience. I'll re-use a good shape exhaust manifold gasket (GM MLS) as well, while many would absolutely never do so.
Right. I am not saying your word is gospel, just that I trust you guy's judgement. There will always be the people who need new everytime it changes. Nothing will change that but most of us builders are not racers with sponsors so we have to be kind to our wallets.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm ****! $50 for piece of mind?? I would use new gaskets even though others say they have with no issues.

Although....I would think as long as ALL you do is pull the bolts and NOT seperate the heads from the block, its a non issue.

Since I know first hand that if you pull them apart, the "O" rings do kind of pull apart.

How much is your time worth??
Old 07-19-2012, 05:20 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by badazz81z28
I'm ****! $50 for piece of mind?? I would use new gaskets even though others say they have with no issues.

Although....I would think as long as ALL you do is pull the bolts and NOT seperate the heads from the block, its a non issue.

Since I know first hand that if you pull them apart, the "O" rings do kind of pull apart.

How much is your time worth??
Time is irrelevant to this equation. It is about materials. While I agree that in perfect circumstances we would all replace every gasket and seal we broke. Most of use are also budget conscious who drive street cars which will run great on a once pressed but never used gasket.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Decadence75
Time is irrelevant to this equation. It is about materials. While I agree that in perfect circumstances we would all replace every gasket and seal we broke. Most of use are also budget conscious who drive street cars which will run great on a once pressed but never used gasket.
Yea, but we are talking about a head gasket here...If he re-uses it, and it fails there is more at stake....He has to take the top end apart in a tight engine compartment. Clean the surface again, chase the threads again, buy more coolant, more oil, and buy a set of head gaskets. Not to mention....what if he hydro locks it from a leak???

V.S. just swap them out now while its already apart.

If he wants to roll the dice....than roll the dice. He might be ok, he might not be..who knows.

I just know what I would do. I hate doing anything twice because of being cheap. It always cost me more later!
Old 07-19-2012, 06:18 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by badazz81z28
Yea, but we are talking about a head gasket here...If he re-uses it, and it fails there is more at stake....He has to take the top end apart in a tight engine compartment. Clean the surface again, chase the threads again, buy more coolant, more oil, and buy a set of head gaskets. Not to mention....what if he hydro locks it from a leak???

V.S. just swap them out now while its already apart.
In this particular situation I do not think any of that would apply since this engine has not even turned over with the gasket in question. It was put on and as the head was being torqued down a bolt broke. He pulled it to fix the bolt and is putting it right back on.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm in the same boat and I'm going to run them!
Old 07-19-2012, 07:20 PM
TECH Addict

I've run used headgaskets... I used paint thinner to clean off the black reckon coating that was left, then a few costs of copper spray and didn't have a problem.... Had run the motor for a few weeks before I popped the head off and reused the gasket
Old 07-19-2012, 08:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

did you make a decision.....
Old 07-20-2012, 12:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I reused my gaskets plus copper spray. HOpe all works out

Quick Reply: Can i reuse a a gm ls1 mls headgasket? no start