Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting my Heads and Cam Combo this week, need tips on pushrod measuring!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 11:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting my Heads and Cam Combo this week, need tips on pushrod measuring!

Well I am getting nearly 2,500 dollars worth of parts in for my 2002 Corvette C5. I'll list all the upgrades so that you guys will know what I am dealing with, then I will need help with pushrod lengths. I have a good idea of what to do, but there is so much damn conflicting arguments on LS1tech (do it that way, no do this, no your doing it wrong) that its kinda got my head in a daze, lol.

When I set the lash on the rockers arms of a Honda Civic, it was pretty darn simple. Though no pushrods were utilized in this valvetrain, you were basically eliminating all play at Top dead center. You wanted around .005 gap between the rocker arm and valve retainer. (But as I said, this a different application altogether)

So anyways, here is what I got coming.

PRC Stage 2.5 heads, milled to 11:5-1 compression ratio.
TSP 228R Camshaft, 112 LSA.
GM Multilayer steel head gaskets.
LS7 lifters.
LS2 timing chain.
Comp Performance Cam Trunion Upgrade.
Comp Performance Pushrod Measuring Tool.

From what I hear, the preload measurement for LS7 lifters is a different. .080 I believe. I thought I measured the pushrod with the no.1 piston at TDC, valves closed, but apparently I keep hearing that the cam is not at base center, so would someone help me with that.

If anybody has a good non-conflicting link, feel free to post it!
Old 07-22-2012, 11:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Measure at top dead with zero lash (while you can still spin the pushrod in the rocker cup) and add preload you want to run which is preference based for valvetrain noise/stability
Old 07-22-2012, 11:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have the E-tec measuring tool? What seems to be the problem??
Old 07-22-2012, 11:36 PM
Staging Lane

I have the adjustable comp pushrod tool.

Some people say the TDC is not on "base circle" I don't know. But what the other poster said appears to be right on the money, well it is how I would go about getting the measurements.

Base pushrod length say 6.80 -0.050 x number of turns =pushrod length then add lifter preload (say 0.80)

What is the lifter preload for LS7 lifters?
Old 07-23-2012, 04:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Cody Strife
Some people say the TDC is not on "base circle" .....
Both lifters had better be on the base circle as both valves are closed. The intake has been closed about about 1/3 crank turn and the exhaust won't open for at least 1/3 turn. If they aren't on the base circle then cylinder pressure will bleed off.

I have seen some try to measure when the piston is at the top, but it was the exhaust stroke where there is overlap. That will be a problem.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:30 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Both lifters had better be on the base circle as both valves are closed. The intake has been closed about about 1/3 crank turn and the exhaust won't open for at least 1/3 turn. If they aren't on the base circle then cylinder pressure will bleed off.

I have seen some try to measure when the piston is at the top, but it was the exhaust stroke where there is overlap. That will be a problem.
Right, so take your measurement on the no.1 piston at TDC and both valves closed and we should be good?