Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head and cam help needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 01:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Head and cam help needed

So I have my 799 heads i got a z06 Cam for basically free. Now i need to get a Springs and probably pushrods does anyone know what kind ill need i was thinking of the PAC 1218 beehive valve springs since the the lift on the Z06 isnt very aggressive but unsure on pushrod lengths. And can i get away without a tune or is a tune neccessary immediately? Sorry i have tried searching and cannot find this info before starting this thread.

And about what kind of horsepower should i expect my car is pretty stock. Its on 02 Firehawk pretty stock SSRA Ram air, K&N, Blackwing lid, SLP MAF, 160 thermostat, LS6 intake (came with car), MSD wires, SLP Ypipe, SLP Catback exhaust.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Alot just use stock pushrods with that cam. 918 springs for that cam are plenty. I would recomend saving some money u can get ls6 springs for like $60 off summit thT wuld work fine with that cam. Hp gains are about 20 to the wheels tuned
Old 07-25-2012, 03:06 PM
Teching In

I thought about the LS6 Springs but have gotten mixed reviews with them some say they are good while others say they are prone to breaking. ALso on the pushrods some say you can stay with a stock one others say you have to upgrade them.

20HP i was hoping for more like 35-40 HP but its a daily driver and i dont have the cash to spend on a better cam for now. Maybe down the road I will upgrade cams later.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Id go ahead and get the PAC1218s, then later when you want to upgrade to a larger cam you won't need to to buy springs again.
As far as PRs, want until you get the cam and valve spring installed then check you lifter preload to know for sure.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

maybe look at a Texas Speed cam pkg,you gain more power for a little more.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:15 PM
TECH Resident

I have a zo6 cam in my 6.0l with LS3 heads. It's been a couple of years but I believe you use a 7.35 length pushrods because the base circle is larger on the zo6 cam. This was for the 2001-04 zo6, not sure about the 06 and newer.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Keep the stock springs and upgrade later..Because if you buy fancy springs et they are not up to your camshaft, it will be a loss of money for nothing.

IMO, get a bigger cam, springs and new lifters while swapping the heads. Do it once, do it right!
Old 07-25-2012, 09:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SSFFirehawk
I thought about the LS6 Springs but have gotten mixed reviews with them some say they are good while others say they are prone to breaking. ALso on the pushrods some say you can stay with a stock one others say you have to upgrade them.

20HP i was hoping for more like 35-40 HP but its a daily driver and i dont have the cash to spend on a better cam for now. Maybe down the road I will upgrade cams later.
You can't expect to get those kind of gains from a tiny little gm cam. If that cam picked up that much power why would everybody be putting in these big cams to make the same power. A 224r typed cam should get you those gains though. You can get that cam package for $600 from tsp
Old 07-25-2012, 11:51 PM
TECH Regular

30whp is probably about right assuming you're doing both heads and cam. LS6 springs will work however it would be wisest to go ahead and do aftermarket beehives now. PAC 1218s are the way to go. Scoggins Dickey used to have the best prices on them. Stock lifters are fine. Stock pushrods however are a no-no. They're weak and they flex if not bend and break.

And LS6 cams have a smaller base circle like an aftermarket cam, not a larger one. Probably want a 7.4 or 7.425 but its best to measure.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:14 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
Id go ahead and get the PAC1218s, then later when you want to upgrade to a larger cam you won't need to to buy springs again.
As far as PRs, want until you get the cam and valve spring installed then check you lifter preload to know for sure.
Yeah Im thinking of springs as one less thing to worry about. And i think that is the best idea to measure it all out to be exact before install.

Originally Posted by Johnnystock
Keep the stock springs and upgrade later..Because if you buy fancy springs et they are not up to your camshaft, it will be a loss of money for nothing.

IMO, get a bigger cam, springs and new lifters while swapping the heads. Do it once, do it right!
The springs are more for peace of mind since they come with the heads. I thought about swapping the lifters but not sure if it is worth it since i have never swapped them before. I would have liked to get a better cam but the timing wasnt great on this.

Originally Posted by sweet99ss
You can't expect to get those kind of gains from a tiny little gm cam. If that cam picked up that much power why would everybody be putting in these big cams to make the same power. A 224r typed cam should get you those gains though. You can get that cam package for $600 from tsp
Those gains are with the cam, 799 heads, springs and a tune when i get it and i know thats a strech. I would have liked to get a better cam but the timing wasnt great on this.

Originally Posted by intenseblue
30whp is probably about right assuming you're doing both heads and cam. LS6 springs will work however it would be wisest to go ahead and do aftermarket beehives now. PAC 1218s are the way to go. Scoggins Dickey used to have the best prices on them. Stock lifters are fine. Stock pushrods however are a no-no. They're weak and they flex if not bend and break.

And LS6 cams have a smaller base circle like an aftermarket cam, not a larger one. Probably want a 7.4 or 7.425 but its best to measure.
As long as i get a decent HP gain ill be happy its a daily driver and i am in california. Yeah i am going to measure the pushrods and then get them. Seems like they do have the best price on them thanks.

Quick Reply: Head and cam help needed