Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you think about a cam before stall?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 06:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you think about a cam before stall?

I can hold off on tires and stall for another year and get my cam/installed for the same price. I love the sound of a cammed car. With my duals installed earlier this year, I wanna get cammed even more. It's my DD, I don't track it yet. I know without a stall it can feel like a "pig" off the line and sometimes power/surge through braking, but like I said...DD. Normal city driving, 55mph on the way home, and very occasional highway. I'm not gonna beat it up for atleast another 2yrs when it finally becomes a weekend driver (just hit 68k). It can be done with no problems from my understanding, but anyone who has cammed before stall could fill me in.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just did a build for a guy and he wanted to wait on the stall. Car will run like **** at low RPM and not want to idle. Also, if you do get the idle low enough, you will have bad vacuum and the breaks will be ****. My recommendation from recent experience: Get the stall first.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

I can understand it running like **** while driving at low rpms, but not the "not want to idle" part. It's going to Idle however the cam allows it to, stall or no stall right? (assuming you have it tuned).
Old 07-26-2012, 06:58 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

everyone recomends you get stall first-end thread
Old 07-26-2012, 07:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

But theirs plenty who have ran them without stalls. Those are the ones I'm interested in.
Continue thread....
Old 07-26-2012, 08:46 PM
On The Tree

Hell, the car will be more fun to drive and certainly be faster with a convertor than with cam alone. Why put in a cam that sacrifices the fun to drive car for the lope of the cam alone?
Old 07-26-2012, 09:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did can first and I don't regret it but I NEED a stall bad at the track! I know the car got more in it!

Besides the lack of track perfOrmance the brakes actually aren't bad really if you ask me, they do have slight push when u stop but nothing unbearable...car wouldn't quit stalling at stop lights so a tune is a must...people will always say stall first, cam first has plenty of gains but you will need a stall shortly after if you want the most out of it...good luck bro
Old 07-27-2012, 01:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No...get a stall.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:30 AM
TECH Resident

If it is a small enough cam you might be able to get away with it for a while but I would make sure to do it soon afterwards or else risk your tranny.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:12 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bigger cams want to idle higher. Factory stall speeds just aren't enough some times. We had a very good, reputable tuner spend a few hours on the car and it idles pretty good. Just some times going from park to drive, or to reverse, it tries to die. Also, when you drive, when you let of the gas the car will feel like you have cruise control on haha. It won't slow down at all. But this Camaro really tries to push through the brakes at stops because of low vacuum and just because the cam is surging past stall speed. I highly recommend a stall first man.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

OP it sounds like your mind is made up so at the end of the day it is your call. Personally unless I had a strict show car that never was driven anywhere else I would never cam before a stall. The only exception being If I was running a cam designed to work with a stock stall.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:26 AM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

I bought my car and it had a cam in it and stock stall. I'm not sure the cam specs but it did have a lopy idle. I love the sound of the cam at idle, but like mentioned it is a pain to get the idle tuned in, not impossible. Also when i let off the brakes it takes off pretty good, so you have to really ride the brakes at slow speeds. I drove it that way for a while, was manageable but a stall does help a lot. If your not gonna go with a crazy large cam you should be fine, however driving it like that will motivate you to buy a stall.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:13 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I drove mine with a 230/224 for a while on stock stall. Sucked. I would rather burn the car than do it again.

Was a pain in the butt to drive, was slow as **** off the line, was still slower than it should have been from a roll, and ate up brake pads in about 2 oil changes.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by justin hover
But theirs plenty who have ran them without stalls. Those are the ones I'm interested in.
Continue thread....
So you're interested in hearing the opinions of the other thick headed fools that have cars that run like ****?
Old 07-27-2012, 10:30 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Blk98Vert
OP it sounds like your mind is made up so at the end of the day it is your call. Personally unless I had a strict show car that never was driven anywhere else I would never cam before a stall. The only exception being If I was running a cam designed to work with a stock stall.
Do you mean like the GMPP HOT or ASP cams?
Old 07-27-2012, 10:48 AM
FormerVendor

There are cam options out there that dont require a converter swap, but every setup will no doubt benefit from one. You are very limited on size and what you can run when using the stock converter unless of course it doesn't bother you when the car runs and drives terrible. With a stock convert we typically recommend customers go no larger than a 224R on a 114LSA.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

No I mean like a cheaTr cam
Old 07-27-2012, 11:22 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Aaron@Texas-Speed
There are cam options out there that dont require a converter swap, but every setup will no doubt benefit from one. You are very limited on size and what you can run when using the stock converter unless of course it doesn't bother you when the car runs and drives terrible. With a stock convert we typically recommend customers go no larger than a 224R on a 114LSA.
Originally Posted by Blk98Vert
No I mean like a cheaTr cam
What would either of you say to running a GMPP HOT Cam without upgrading the stall? Would it be ok for light street driving 4-6 months before upgrading?
Old 07-27-2012, 11:36 AM
On The Tree

While you can certainly run a smaller cam to work with the stock stall, why would you set yourself up for a future cam swap as well? Just seems to me you want to try and do these things only once. You may never change the cam, but I would be willing to bet that after you put a stall in it, you are gonna wish you had more cam.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Way2Fast
While you can certainly run a smaller cam to work with the stock stall, why would you set yourself up for a future cam swap as well? Just seems to me you want to try and do these things only once. You may never change the cam, but I would be willing to bet that after you put a stall in it, you are gonna wish you had more cam.
Because there are time like when I picked up a GMPP HOT Cam that had been sitting on the shelf for just under 10 years on the cheap and doing the work myself means almost no cost since I got springs with the cam. And for a few hundred you can't beat that as a power adder.

Quick Reply: What do you think about a cam before stall?