Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To rebuild or not?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 12:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question To rebuild or not?

Whats up guys, i just picked up an 02 6spd ss with 147k miles. I bought it from an auction so i dont really know much about the car. The car runs and drives fine with no out of the ordinary noises. Now i want to do a cam only swap but am a bit hesitant with that many miles. So should i just clean it and freshen it up with some new parts? Rebuild top end? Overhaul the whole engine? Or should i just ditch it and go with an lq9/lq4 setup? What do you guys recommend doing? I dont wanna spend to much but i know sometimes its around the same to upgrade to a 6.0 than rebuild an ls1, but it is not going to see the track and aiming for about 400rwhp. It will be my weekend cruiser!
Old 08-06-2012, 12:23 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rebuild the top end. I would send the heads for a valve job as Im sure with those miles, the valves arent sealing all the way so get a valve job and have them ported or buy some Ls6 heads. Replace lifters with Ls7's, ARP head bolts and new head gaskets. New oil pump, timing chain, balancer bolt, valvesprings, pushrods, locks, retainers, trunion upgrade, new 36# injectors, and of course the cam. ALong with that you will need headers/exhaust, lid if it doesnt have one already, and a tune to finish it off. Id recommend a 228R or a 228/232 for a good daily cam and that will get you to your 400rwhp mark easy. You will probably need a clutch as well and I have a used LS6 clutch for sale with barely any miles on it. PM if interested.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TransAmcoupe98
Rebuild the top end. I would send the heads for a valve job as Im sure with those miles, the valves arent sealing all the way so get a valve job and have them ported or buy some Ls6 heads. Replace lifters with Ls7's, ARP head bolts and new head gaskets. New oil pump, timing chain, balancer bolt, valvesprings, pushrods, locks, retainers, trunion upgrade, new 36# injectors, and of course the cam. ALong with that you will need headers/exhaust, lid if it doesnt have one already, and a tune to finish it off. Id recommend a 228R or a 228/232 for a good daily cam and that will get you to your 400rwhp mark easy. You will probably need a clutch as well and I have a used LS6 clutch for sale with barely any miles on it. PM if interested.
Your right on track with what i was thinking for the top end rebuild. Thanks for the advice!