Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cam swap in progress minimum cam end play

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 08:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cam swap in progress minimum cam end play

Just checking to do best practice, so I set up a dial indicator and checked "walk" from front stop to rear stop in cam travel.

bolts snug on 5618T cam sprocket, no chain .005"

bolts torqued with new 5618T gear set and 3SR60-2 IWIS chain .00250"

smooth easy spin after initial effort, but is this too tight or ok?

Thanks for your advice.

Last edited by 82cecil; 08-08-2012 at 08:30 PM.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

.005-.008" is what i have personally seen on every cam swap i have done. I think .005"-.010" is the norm. I haven't seen .00250" that seem to be kinda tight. I would spin it without the chain on, if it spins nice and freely I would put the chain on and spin it. If it spins as it should with the chain on I would go ahead and run it. Like I said I have never personally measured one that tight but if it spins fine then I would say your good. Maybe someone else can chime in with their experience.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:52 PM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

Good question, recent I've seen some damaged thrust plates due to the installer not checking thrust clearance and there being ZERO or less clearance, which ends up binding and basically ruining the timing gear, thrust plate, and in some cases the camshaft too. It is good practice to check due to varying manufacturers tolerances. You have a camshaft from one manufacturer, a camshaft retainer plate from GM (who knows where that is made..) and then a timing chain set from overseas. There are 3 manufacturers involved, each with their own processes and tolerances.

OEM GM Specs are 0.001-0.012" of camshaft end play, which is the specification I noted in my 1st book. I have seen it vary a bit depending on the variety of parts utilized. With the OEM timing gears I myself feel anything .002-.008" is alright. But when using aftermarket timing sets with a roller torrington thrust bearing, I like to see the clearance a bit on the tighter side .002-.004" so that the torrington bearings are not shocked as much if the camshaft is forced fore and aft while running.

I also like to use some break-in lubricant or engine assembly grease on the thrust plate during initial start-up with new parts.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by -Joseph-
which is the specification I noted in my 1st book.
with the risk of sounding like im swinging from your nuts: your books are fucken great man. They have help me out many times... Just wanted to say thank you.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:38 PM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

Originally Posted by 3rdCoastPowerSports
with the risk of sounding like im swinging from your nuts: your books are fucken great man. They have help me out many times... Just wanted to say thank you.
Thanks! I hope they are a great LSx resource for a long time. It's great to hear that they are getting some use.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:51 PM
Teching In

thanks for the help, I just wanted to be sure.

Quick Reply: cam swap in progress minimum cam end play