Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

347 Engine builder problems?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 11:43 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 347 Engine builder problems?

I blew the engine in my 01 ss about a month ago...

Im on a tight budget so I bought a 71k ls1 out of a friends car.
I took the engine to my friend who used to work at CBM for over 8 years as an engine builder. He told me to get new piston rings and gaskets. He tore out the engine and found out the engine still has cross hatching on the cylinders and all the bearings are cherry. He said they engine was in mint condition.

He told me I will be able to use the cam and the main and rod bearings from the engine becuase they are in very good condition. So he is going to swap my dual springs and hardened pushrods into the new ls1 and my ls2 timing chain, torquer v2 and the ls6 intake, do a valvejob, slight hone, install new piston rings new gaskets, tr55 sparkplugs, msd wires,and slp smooth bellows and reuse everything else...

Will this cause any problems?

Ps this guy was worked at cbm building motors for 8 years.. Hes reusing these parts becuase of my tight budget, being that i am a college student.... But is there anything else i shold be doing that I can afford that i should be doing?
Old 08-17-2012, 12:12 PM
Staging Lane

Would a federal mogul bearing set do fine in this setup? Are those bearings any good?
Old 08-17-2012, 12:40 PM
Staging Lane

Anyone?
Old 08-17-2012, 04:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should have put the low mileage engine in with out touching it and drove it sensibly. Empty wallet means no hot rodding.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2000RATA
You should have put the low mileage engine in with out touching it and drove it sensibly. Empty wallet means no hot rodding.
Exactly... As you get older you are going to learn that there is nothing as streetable, well mannered, and maintance easy as bone stock. Some people will jump in here and say "Well my car is a daily blah blah blah", but if you look at the results on average a stock engined car is going to be more reliable and easier on your wallet than one that is cammed up. Hotrodding definately has it's place, but IMO hotrodding has no business being done on a car that is a daily and being in a financial pinch.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kossuth
Exactly... As you get older you are going to learn that there is nothing as streetable, well mannered, and maintance easy as bone stock. Some people will jump in here and say "Well my car is a daily blah blah blah", but if you look at the results on average a stock engined car is going to be more reliable and easier on your wallet than one that is cammed up. Hotrodding definately has it's place, but IMO hotrodding has no business being done on a car that is a daily and being in a financial pinch.
I'm sure more people wished they had listened to your comments.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:27 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Orange Juice
I'm sure more people wished they had listened to your comments.
I'm saying it because I lived it myself at one point before I got alittle smarter
Old 08-18-2012, 06:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kossuth
I'm saying it because I lived it myself at one point before I got alittle smarter
I tried to hotrod my DD many many years ago when I was a teenager. I ended up working on the thing all the time. I finally figured out to start driving it right and build a seperate hotrod. OP, if you're on a tight budget, don't hotrod your car. It has to be dependable and won't be if you drive the **** out of it.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:02 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS1MCSS
I tried to hotrod my DD many many years ago when I was a teenager. I ended up working on the thing all the time. I finally figured out to start driving it right and build a seperate hotrod. OP, if you're on a tight budget, don't hotrod your car. It has to be dependable and won't be if you drive the **** out of it.

Good point.... Kinda wish I would have seen something like that before I got the mod bug.

Now oh well.... I guess ill have to drive my crappy *** 2nd car for a week longer...

I have two cars =)

But honestly... I dont want the car to be a burden or a money pit.. I didnt think going cammed would be such an issue.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if you still have good bores hones reuse the stock piston and rings.you mite need to resize the rod ,get new bolts.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:35 PM
Staging Lane

My dad always told me that my hot rod should not be my daily driver cause i would be walking more than driving.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:22 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by slamminjim
My dad always told me that my hot rod should not be my daily driver cause i would be walking more than driving.
This is why I picked up a 70k mile engine and had it rebuild by a former cbm head engine builder.

I just went ahead and trusted my gut and ordered the main bearings and rod bearings and ls6 oil pump.

Im pretty much done with it at this point...

New wires, spark plugs, ls6 intake, cam, piston rings, and all new gaskets, double springs, hardened pushrods... Im hoping the engine lasts for alteast another 50k atleast.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:29 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by smileyou
This is why I picked up a 70k mile engine and had it rebuild by a former cbm head engine builder.

I just went ahead and trusted my gut and ordered the main bearings and rod bearings and ls6 oil pump.

Im pretty much done with it at this point...

New wires, spark plugs, ls6 intake, cam, piston rings, and all new gaskets, double springs, hardened pushrods... Im hoping the engine lasts for alteast another 50k atleast.
Should last you longer than that if you take care of it.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My dailey driver just turned 250,000 miles heads, cam and all the bolt ons. It makes 452/418 and is still running strong and reliable day in and day out. You did not have to rebuild that 71K mile motor. These LS series engines will last a real long time if they are maintained properly. Mine uses a half quart of oil every 2,500 miles and I have changed the oil and filter every 5,000 miles since it was new. Spend your money more wisely in the future. As I said before a rebuild was not nessary. As a refference for you at 225,000 miles I had the heads offf of mine and you could still see cross hatching on the cylinder walls. Since you have it torn all the way down replacing the bearings is the only way to go. I'd go ahead and install some after market rod bolts while you at it that is the only real weak spot in the bottom end of a LS series engine. The rest is pretty bullit proof. Good luck with your rebuild.

Last edited by slt200mph; 08-20-2012 at 05:05 PM.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:41 PM
Staging Lane

I got new bearings all around... Im not doing the rod bolts becuase Ive read many different places on the forums.. that for a stock sub 450 hp ls1 with no power adders it wouldnt be a concern... other things would let go before the rod bolts stretched enough to allow the bearing to demolish itself..
Old 08-21-2012, 05:53 PM
12 Second Club

I got new bearings all around... Im not doing the rod bolts becuase Ive read many different places on the forums.. that for a stock sub 450 hp ls1 with no power adders it wouldnt be a concern... other things would let go before the rod bolts stretched enough to allow the bearing to demolish itself..
Might as well do it since it's out already though
Old 08-22-2012, 03:46 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by wooddaniel
Might as well do it since it's out already though
Budget is a issue... school starts in 4 weeks and I still have to get it tuned and pay the registration.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:18 AM
12 Second Club

Budget is a issue... school starts in 4 weeks and I still have to get it tuned and pay the registration.
Understandable; school isnt cheap which is why it's taken me 9 years on and off
Old 08-23-2012, 12:25 PM
TECH Addict

Not to be an ***, but why did you tear down a 71K miles LS1 that you had a good history on. I would understand more if you got it from some stranger, but you said you got it from a friend.
Old 08-23-2012, 02:29 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3
Not to be an ***, but why did you tear down a 71K miles LS1 that you had a good history on. I would understand more if you got it from some stranger, but you said you got it from a friend.

The engine builder is my friend... I bought the engine from a (stranger) on ls1 tech. Seeing as I just bought a car that " Was A1" and promised to be cherry AND checked out at a well known ls1 shop blow the hell up. Im being very careful...

And school does take a while to finish, luckily im done in a year or so... Its annoying. I go to cal poly pomona and im a double major...