Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam install question

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 08:55 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam install question

Getting my things together for the cam install, I have a question after reading over the Cam install write up found here:

http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=23

In this install, they don't have the Intake Manifold removed. I'm going to be installing a new Intake Manifold as well, so do I need to worry about the lifters falling down? I see there is a tool that can be bought to make this easier, it's $85. Which compared to the cost of a disaster happening is not much.

Is there a method I can do not mentioned in that article considering the Intake Manifold will be off?

Thanks!
Old 04-06-2004, 09:18 AM
12 Second Club

It does not matter if you have the intake off, you cannot reach the lifters from there. You will still have to pull them up into the holding cups. My friends and I just use a stick magnet, put it down in the pushrod hole, hook it to the lifter and pull it up slowly until you feel a little click, then it is in the cup, still be very carefull while removing and replacing the cam, do it as quick and smooth as possible.
Old 04-06-2004, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

i used the retainer method when i did mine without problems, but i've heard of otheres having problems. you can make that lifter tool with some round stock from a hardware store, but i'm not sure what size you need. lifters are under the heads on gen 3 motors, so taking off the intake wont help.
Old 04-06-2004, 01:41 PM
Teching In

You can effectively make your own lifter tool from stock at Home Depot. Do a search.
Old 04-06-2004, 01:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by xchaos
You can effectively make your own lifter tool from stock at Home Depot. Do a search.
Yeah, I found a thread that mentions that. I think that's the way I'm going to go. Much cheaper.
Old 04-06-2004, 02:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here you go: https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/141062-lifter-holding-tool.html