Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

piston swap out

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 07:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default piston swap out

hey guys, ive got a 02 lq4 6liter in my 99 trans am..and long story short, i chipped a piston while under boost. i looked in the cylinder with a bore scope and didnt see any apparent scoring on the cylinder walls, but i would obviously take a closer look when the cylinder head is off.

my question is..has anyone every swapped out 1 piston on an f-body, with the engine in car?
Im pretty sure the hardest part is gonna be getting the oil pan off, was hoping someone would have any insight or experience that could make this whole process easier.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:03 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The time invested in pulling the pan, crank, piston...etc then fighting with the pickup tube and whatever else would be better spent just pulling the engine out. It will give you a better chance to inspect/replace bearings and whatever else.

Trying to do it in the car is more trouble than it's worth. I can have the engine out of my car and on a stand in just a little over an hour. You'll spend that just trying to get the oil pan off in the car.
Old 08-25-2012, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

also you will have to take off the head, I don't think the piston will clear the main caps if you try to take it out the bottom.