Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My LQ4 Build

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 12:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My LQ4 Build

I just picked up my newest project, which is an LQ4 from a denali...

I got this for free from my best friend. He actually gave it to my Fiance and I for our wedding present (White trash what?). Haha, but basically we're going to build this together, so she can get the full understanding of the inner workings of a V8. Which she's super exicted for, and so am I. Then once the motor is done, the plan is to put it in a pre 1980 C10 backed by a T56. I figured the motor is going to be the best place to start.

So far my plans are to;

-Hot tank/vat/Clean up, check for cracks etc...
-Bore it .030 (and determine with pistons are best for at least a 10:1 or greater Compression Ratio)
-New Cam, main, and rod bearings
-243 (Or similar) heads with the appropriate springs and pushrods
-Texas Speed Cam (haven't chosen yet, until I determine heads, but of course, to go along with the compression, I want to get that nasty, rough idle sound)
-FAST intake or Similar that would match the 243 heads

But first things first, and that's to round up parts/part numbers/opinions and what not. I'm shooting for 500+ N/A.

Where's the best place online to be looking for my rebuild kits? I've flipped through Summit briefly, but Haven't gone much farther than that. I've also navigated TexasSpeed's site as well, and I'm getting somewhat use to it.

I'm new to the whole LSx motor building though, but not to the GenI SBC/BBC building. Any help and/or pointers,part numbers/combo ideas is/are appreciated.

Last edited by JakeTheGriff; 08-27-2012 at 01:00 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:23 PM
TECH Regular

if you're looking for 500 n/a (wheel hp anyway) your best bet is going for a 408 stroker kit from TSP: http://www.texas-speed.com/p-1016-ts...-assembly.aspx
I dont know what your budget is but after its bored and stroked i think summit racing has gasket rebuild kits (i think that what you want)
TSP also has great head/cam/valvespring/pushrod combo deals that you would probably be interested in.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:43 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

A good set of heads, decent cam and full bolt on's will get you 500 at the wheels no problem with the 370.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:13 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JohnS Z28
if you're looking for 500 n/a (wheel hp anyway) your best bet is going for a 408 stroker kit from TSP: http://www.texas-speed.com/p-1016-ts...-assembly.aspx
I dont know what your budget is but after its bored and stroked i think summit racing has gasket rebuild kits (i think that what you want)
TSP also has great head/cam/valvespring/pushrod combo deals that you would probably be interested in.
+1

I would use the iron block to my advantage and go stroker 403/408 if the motor budget allowed. The torque benefits will pick the truck right up, and 500 RWHP is an obtainable goal for sure.

I would consider running L92 heads with and an LS3 intake/fuel rail/injectors for the 403/408 application.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:24 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JohnS Z28
That is awesome. This is the kind of stuff I was looking for. There sure are a lot of variables with that option, but that's the kind of stuff I'm looking for forsure. I just need to figure out which parts I would need.

Thanks for that man.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:46 AM
Teching In

and as far as budget goes. I don't really have one. I'd like to keep it under $10K if I was to put an amount on it.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:09 AM
TECH Regular

well GMHTP did a 408 for almost exactly 10k, heres the article and they gave an extensive parts list too.
http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...d/viewall.html
Old 08-28-2012, 09:45 AM
Teching In

And to make things even better, my block was free.

Thanks for that link.

Edit, doesn't that cam seem to be like too much cam?

Last edited by JakeTheGriff; 08-28-2012 at 11:10 AM.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:02 PM
Teching In

With such a setup, I wouldn't have to Flycut the pistons at all would I? I'm hoping for a somewhat "easy" (loosely used) build. Machine work isn't an issue, as long as it's simple boring, honing etc...
Old 08-28-2012, 05:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if you're doing a stroker you'll have to go with aftermarket pistons, so just get some with deep valve reliefs. I'm using some Wiseco -3cc dish pistons and the valve reliefs are about 0.12" deep.

On the cam bearings, I suggest that you only replace them if they are scratched or otherwise damaged, or measure at greater than .006" of clearance to the cam journals. If you do replace them, spend the extra money for OEM bearings and buy a proper install tool.

Just some advice from what I've learned so far. Good luck and keep the pics coming!
Old 08-29-2012, 07:40 AM
Teching In

I have to go through this thing completely anyhow. it lost oil pressure in the denali it was in, so I had planned on running all new bearings anyhow when I go through it.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:26 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd look for a cam in the 247/259 or 251/263 range for those heads.

Depending on how aggressive you want to get with the cam profile and the lobes used will determine the final cam timing used as each different lobe will have use a different rated duration at .050, .200 and total duration. If you're going to use aftermarket valves I wouldn't use either of those cam profiles as the lobe intensity is a little too much for heavy aftermarket valves. If you stick with a stock valve set-up like the LS3 valves you could use either of those profiles as they are a good bit lighter than the aftermarket valves.

Those cams you posted a picture of are on LSL lobes.

Quick Reply: My LQ4 Build